Best Way To Create A Barrel Ceiling

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

I have severa areas in this plan the client wants barrel ceilings. These do not go wall to wall. In the past I use an invisible wall to create the out line/boundry for the barrel ceiling plane then follow the basic steps.

Is it better to use the divider wall? Can it be used for that purpose?

I need to move on to other things and will come back to this momentarily, so if anyone has a "best-way" to do it would you mind sharing?

Thanks

post-1662-0-18736800-1421861575_thumb.png

Bob a Google search is the best way to at least get started with these things. Try the link below. Didn't read your post that well Bob - I don't see any reason a room divider won't work for what you're trying - almost quicker to try it than to post here. Let us know if you get it figured out.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=barrel+ceiling+chief+architect&spell=1

You don't need two. You start the plane for the curved ceiling, the manual says to stop about halfway the width then select again drag to outline the extent. I usually do them wall to wal, in this case in the middle of the room, however I tried it both ways using a divider wall and went back and tried the invisible wall. I am sure there is a fix although I haven't discovered it yet ( AND YES I TRIED IT FIRST BEFORE POSTING HERE) , where it bumps a wall no problem, where it stops and the windo alcove (bump out) there is a hole above ceiling.

SO DUMB ME, I will continue to experiment LATER when I have more time. This will suffice for now.

post-1662-0-18681300-1421867785_thumb.png

looks like there is an issue with the main ceiling plane Bob, it is higher than the barrel plane , and you can see at the back the crown moulding it 3" ? down from the ceiling , which tells me the ceiling plane moved up for some reason, might be why it isn't working ?  did you rebuilt the 3D view with F12 ?     worse comes to worse use a soffit or polyline solid for the 3D pics and move on.

M.

• 2 weeks later...

To all: haven't been avoiding the topic/responses, just having to focus on other pressing issues to get the progress set out. Made the dead-line but def many little "foxes" to get out of the vinyard!

While waiting on a response from the client / code people, I was cleaning up (or at least trying to) some of those nuances. Back to the barrel vault. I will give a look at the video HTH asap. Of course the client's ID wanted a eye-stopper for the kitchen barrel, and I've spent a great deal of time getting it close. Not only does it barrel the width of the cooking/island area, but longitudinally projects into the great room. Interestingly enough I have it a pretty close, at least making the ID happy (temporarily). In working it out, I noticed what looks like (in elevation section camera view) the drywall dropping down like a thin soffit) partially covering the view of the cabinets. Upon closer view, and after attempting several opp's to get rid  of it, unable to select it in plan, elevation , full camera or any other way, I have NO IDEA what it is or how it suddenly became a part of the plan???

I still have the open holes at each end and on one side-go figure? The MSTR BTH/MSTR BD barrels are also a work in progress and I will see if an attic wall will take care of it.

I am zipping and posting the plan each time now, so if you open it keep in mind I am aware of a "lot of little" things to work on, and WILL as I get closer to the fine details. Right now, help with the bigger things is always appreciated.

post-1662-0-73309800-1423064867_thumb.png

1.30.2015 PROGRESS SET.zip