Is it possible to create a new symbol to act as a cabinet....

amydiane21

I am trying to create a new symbol from a cabinet to create custom closets so that they stop adding automatic fillers but I would like them to automatically suppress wall moldings like a cabinet. Is this possible?

TIA!! :)

21 minutes ago, amydiane21 said:

stop adding automatic fillers

Can't make a new cabinet symbol and no need to use blocks IMO.

Just turn off automatic fillers? It's off by default in ALL of my templates except the OOB ones.

image.thumb.png.ddb413a76bbe031626799b350cd90bde.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Just turn off automatic fillers? It's off by default in ALL of my templates except the OOB ones.

Is this a new feature? I don't remember ever being able to do this!

However, if I do this in the defaults, then won't it stop it for all cabinets in the plan, because I do not want that to happen. 

8 minutes ago, amydiane21 said:

However, if I do this in the defaults, then won't it stop it for all cabinets in the plan, because I do not want that to happen. 

Yes, it will prevent any automatic fillers - even those already present.  If you want to prevent the automatic filler then you need to use the "Architectural Block" on an individual cabinet basis.  You can of course add such blocks to the Library so they will be available for use whenever you want them.

• Like 1

Note that I use this method for vanity cabinets where I want them to be a couple inches clear of the side walls but I don't want the fillers.  These are generally configured with a clear space underneath and legs.  In some cases they have a toe-kick with a custom foot.

IAE, they are more like furniture than built-in cabinets.

• Like 1

Thank you, Joe! I appreciate the help.

I will just have to do that. I like the symbols because I can resize them with the closet rods in them that I have added. I wish they would add the "suppress adjacent moldings" box in when you create the symbols. 

43 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I also work this way and have Fillers and Panels pre-made from Cabinets for when I need them,

this also allows for Dimensioning of those elements. ( chief won't dimension to Auto fillers/Panels)

M.

1 hour ago, amydiane21 said:

Thank you, Joe! I appreciate the help.

I will just have to do that. I like the symbols because I can resize them with the closet rods in them that I have added. I wish they would add the "suppress adjacent moldings" box in when you create the symbols. 

You can do closet rods inside of a cabinet symbol in a number of different ways
We have:

• millwork that can be attached to the back of a door/drawer
  • millwork that can replace a shelf
  • back facing cabinet configuration that can be used with offsets to create any nymber of custom boxes and items
  • side facing cabinets that can do the same

So there are plenty of ways to get a parametrically modeled closet rod into a cabinet symbol.
I've utilized most of these tricks in my custom fireplace suite of tools

1 hour ago, amydiane21 said:

Is this a new feature? I don't remember ever being able to do this!

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember (v5 or 6?) Yes it is global for the plan.

I have saved fillers with panels as Kbird does but to place standard fillers I use a hotkey. When things are settled just click in the space.

image.thumb.png.7597bf83941e8c524e8588e97effa493.png

They autosize to fit so no need to fuss with them.

If they are interfering with resizing a cabinet delete (usually don't but life is easier deleting them), resize cabinet (S) and type the shortcut again. Why do this?

1. They end up in a cabinet schedule to make sure that they get ordered.
  2. The temporary dimension says away from the wall show (as Kbird) when clicking the cabinet.
  3. I never get little spaces between cabinets that don't belong there as I see from clients using auto fillers.
  4. I'm a weiner..

image.thumb.png.c44320e729220c26149ff2bce348308a.pngimage.thumb.png.10baba900c16610d22f9cb05f1267bf3.png

image.thumb.png.b492655a7657f68a908f2303e552c2a6.png

10 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

If they are interfering with resizing a cabinet delete (usually don't but life is easier deleting them), resize cabinet (S) and type the shortcut again. Why do this?

1. They end up in a cabinet schedule to make sure that they get ordered.
  2. The temporary dimension says away from the wall show (as Kbird) when clicking the cabinet.
  3. I never get little spaces between cabinets that don't belong there as I see from clients using auto fillers.
  4. I'm a weiner..

I don't think No#. 4 is applicable myself..... :P:)

Mick.