X14 interior dimensions

sdsinc

Morning all

What am I missing?  Using X14 Beta first time, cannot figure out why I'm not getting dimensions showing hash marks each side of wall like it always did.  I am continually getting dimensions ONLY to one side of the wall including when I do interior dimensions.  Help if you can. 

image.thumb.png.6594dd47e86b4b63568b95c6a2940e6c.png

Are you using an X14 template or a migrated X13 (or prior) template?  If the X13 template, you will want to modify your dimension defaults for the particular plan view you are using to change the dimension style and setup.  Dimensions changed a fair amount in X14; if you can use the X14 template plan, it is optimized for these changes.

dims.png

• Upvote 2

I used the default template when I opened X14, but I imported my layer/default sets from prior versions.

Which makes this hard if we cant do that.

And does that also mean I couldn't open an X13 plan in X14 without having this trouble?  That seems unproductive.

Screen shot of my dimension defaults for interior walls shown.  Am I missing something here?

image.thumb.png.89d9794de65afde149c5ca60c807a129.png

If you open an X13 plan in X14, your manual dimension tools should pretty much work the same without having to change any settings.  If you import your X13 dimension defaults into X14, they should also work the same as they did in X13.  If you are finding any cases where this is not happening, then please feel free to report this to our tech support team.

Are you manually drawing your interior dimension using the "Interior Dimension" tool or are you using the "Manual Dimension" tool? 

If you draw a dimension line using the "Interior Dimension" tool it should always pick up both wall sides.  You can set them up to locate either wall surfaces or the main layer in your dimension defaults.  You can also set them up to display the wall width if you like.

If you draw a dimension line using the "Manual Dimension" tool, this will locate your walls according to the settings on the "Locate Manual" panel of your dimension defaults.  You can set them up to locate either side of your interior walls or both using the Primary Side and Secondary Side check boxes.

If you are doing something else, then you will have to explain further.

• Upvote 3

Don - did that.  No good, but thanks.

What I HAVE discovered and cant understand is as follows:

If I open a legacy plan - X13, finished last week - the dimensions behave as they should.

But the problem is when I start a new plan.  Workflow is as follows to start a new plan:

New plan

Import my X13 layer sets

Import my X13 default sets

Draw simple shape as per attached

Voila, cant get dimensions to work

Important to note that the layer sets and default sets I import for a new drawing are the SAME as those in the legacy plan import that does work.

I have posted both plans Dermot - if this helps.

032522 Zitofsky 2022.zip X14 dimension troubles.zip

Please report this problem to our tech support team.

My best guess is that this is a problem with the importing dimension defaults (done by importing your default sets).  I am assuming that your interior dimensions worked just fine before you did this but this should be easy for you to confirm.  When you report this you will need to include a simple plan that works fine, the default sets that you are importing, and the exact settings that you are using when you import them.  Assuming that we can duplicate this problem, then hopefully we can get a fix in to prevent this.

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2022 at 4:19 AM, sdsinc said:

Don - did that.  No good, but thanks.

What I HAVE discovered and cant understand is as follows:

If I open a legacy plan - X13, finished last week - the dimensions behave as they should.

But the problem is when I start a new plan.  Workflow is as follows to start a new plan:

New plan

Import my X13 layer sets

Import my X13 default sets

Draw simple shape as per attached

Voila, cant get dimensions to work

Important to note that the layer sets and default sets I import for a new drawing are the SAME as those in the legacy plan import that does work.

I have posted both plans Dermot - if this helps.

032522 Zitofsky 2022.zip 3.56 MB · 3 downloads X14 dimension troubles.zip 678.11 kB · 2 downloads

I had similar problems with X12 to X13 imports of Dimension Defaults as did several Clients , so in the end had to abandon that method and built new Defaults ( and Templates) in X13 , so this is bad news, as it looks like it was never fixed.

Mick.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

"...as it looks like it was never fixed."

That would not surprise me if it was never reported.  Sometimes when people run into problems and they find work-arounds, they never bother to report them.  Sometimes people will mention problems in random posts on Chieftalk and never bother to report them.  Sometimes people will actually report problems but then when tech support asks them for some more information they never bother to send it.  Sometimes people want to report problems but can't because they are too busy and then forget to do later. 

It's really unfortunate and that's one of the reasons you will see me on the forums practically begging people to contact tech support.  We really want to fix problems like this but sometimes we can't without a little bit of help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

"...as it looks like it was never fixed."

That would not surprise me if it was never reported.  Sometimes when people run into problems and they find work-arounds, they never bother to report them.  Sometimes people will mention problems in random posts on Chieftalk and never bother to report them.  Sometimes people will actually report problems but then when tech support asks them for some more information they never bother to send it.  Sometimes people want to report problems but can't because they are too busy and then forget to do later. 

It's really unfortunate and that's one of the reasons you will see me on the forums practically begging people to contact tech support.  We really want to fix problems like this but sometimes we can't without a little bit of help.

The problem is ALWAYS " we can't reproduce it ....So we can't fix it "   

and thanks for the Down Votes D.  very good of you.....:unsure:

Mick.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

"and thanks for the Down Votes D.  very good of you."

I did not give you those down votes.  I thought your post was a good opportunity to remind people of the importance of reporting bugs.  I did think that you down voting me in retaliation was rather immature though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1