Interior Walls, Exterior Walls, Walls Normal, Definitions?

HumbleChief

Curious about how your wall def's are handled. In a stock Residential Template both Interiors and Exterior walls are on the same layer 'Walls, Normal'. I prefer having 2 layers 'Walls, Normal INTERIOR'  and 'Walls, Normal EXTERIOR' so I can turn the different layers off/on to display either INTERIOR or EXTERIOR walls separately or together. Nice for ref sets but not sure it's the best for all walls.

Curious, do you all use just the single layer 'Walls, Normal' or have Interior and Exterior Walls on separate layers?

I was separating them for awhile and then went back to the single Walls, Normal layer. For some reason I found it a hassle that simply wasn't necessary in every plan. I decided I would change them on a case-by-case basis if I came into a situation where I thought it would be beneficial (rendering or con docs).

I use many different layers like walls normal, walls interior, walls no show on plan, Same for railings, interior, exterior. It makes it a lot easier to select the group of walls. You can set all the walls to go to any layer you want in the wall defaults.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I use many different layers like walls normal, walls interior, walls no show on plan, Same for railings, interior, exterior. It makes it a lot easier to select the group of walls. You can set all the walls to go to any layer you want in the wall defaults.

In that same camp I would say but curious P, what layers do your attic walls end up on? Walls, Attic? Or another layer.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

walls attic, at least I can turn them off in plan view easily. I don't think there is a default for that.

Not yet AFAIK , always been whatever Walltype is below it and Walls Attic for anything Auto-generated, I thought but have seen that too Larry for example in a remodel plan with Walls,Existing and Walls,New etc.

M

If I reset my default exterior walls to Walls, Normal then the attic walls auto to the Attic, Walls Layer. If I set the default exterior wall to Walls Exterior, the attic walls auto build to the Walls, Exterior Layer, not the Walls Attic layer. Is there a way to get the auto generated attic walls to build to the Walls, Attic Layer like yours apparently do Perry?

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

If I reset my default exterior walls to Walls, Normal then the attic walls auto to the Attic, Walls Layer. If I set the default exterior wall to Walls Exterior, the attic walls auto build to the Walls, Exterior Layer, not the Walls Attic layer. Is there a way to get the auto generated attic walls to build to the Walls, Attic Layer like yours apparently do Perry?

I think it uses whatever the Exterior/Interior Default Wall uses....

M.

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Is there a way to get the auto generated attic walls to build to the Walls, Attic Layer like yours apparently do Perry?

No. It will follow the exterior wall below. So if it doesn't have the default layer checked, then you're SOL

9 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

...but any auto attic wall will be places on the walls attic layer.

Unless the attic walls are built over a different layer than Walls, Normal? This is what I'm seeing but really don't quite get how you might be getting attic walls on Walls, Attic over something other than Walls,Normal? Or are you?

THANKS.

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

all my exterior walls are on the walls normal layer

Alrighty then, that explains it and that might be a very good strategy? Keep the exterior walls on Walls, Normal so the attic walls generate on the Walls, Attic Layer then assign interior walls etc. to various layers to display/not display?

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Unless that default Exterior Wall Layer is Walls, Normal in which case attic walls build, not to Walls, Normal, but to Walls, Attic.

Because that's the default. Just like if you change a wall to invisible or no locate, its layer changes to follow the default.

The default is key!

image.thumb.png.f765f94a4d35408dd122fa0bcc6363db.png

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Alrighty then, that explains it and that might be a very good strategy? Keep the exterior walls on Walls, Normal so the attic walls generate on the Walls, Attic Layer then assign interior walls etc. to various layers to display/not display?

If you change interior walls to a different layer, then when / if you change some of those to invisible, or no-locate, or railing, you'll need to manually change their layer as well.

Just now, HumbleChief said:

Yeah I had changed my Exterior Wall defaults to other than Walls, Normal.

It's the changes in wall types not following the default layers that makes a deviation a hassle. No big deal if design development is done and you'll never re-use the plan.

I re-use a lot of plans and then make edits so following defaults is critical to simplify that process.