Restoring from an autosave file

Elliot

After working all day, almost finishing a full set of remodel plans and layouts, I saved everything.  Then windows 11 just decided it had to do an update so I let it.  I was gone for a few hours and when I came back and  opened the plan and layout, a whole lot of my work was gone. In fact the layout file was almost blank.  I have no idea what happened. I am so careful to save my file before I close the program.  And I have the autosave to save every 5 minutes.  But I just cannot find how to restore from the last autosave. I searched the reference manual but didn't find anything that helps. I searched this forum before I posted another question. I am sure this  has been asked many times before.  

thanks guys 

(feeling really stupid right now) 

Have a look for your autosave files and open them up and hope they were created without much lost work.  Then do a save as before you resume working with the files.

C:\Users\User\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X13 Data\Archives\File Name\ File_auto_save_bak.plan\.layout

You know now, but never forget to save your file and shutdown Chief before a windows update.

thanks for the reply.  I drilled down to  Chief Architect Premier X13 Data but there was no folder named archives in that directory.  I did a search on my whole C drive for "archives" and I found one old file from years ago.  

Any ideas? 

I searched on my D drive where I keep all my data and found an Archive folder. So the file was in there but it was not  the last  few hours of work. If it was supposed to save every 5 minutes why wouldn't it be everything except the last 5 minutes of my work?  And I found no auto save of the layout file at all. Isn't Chief supposed to autosave that file also? Anyway I know what I will be doing tomorrow morning!  Good thing is I really enjoy spending time with the Chief!! 

On 3/9/2022 at 1:38 AM, Elliot said:

I am sure this  has been asked many times before.  

With the certain file in question open, go to the main menu on the top left. 

Hit "File" ...then the drop down menu will lead to "Manage Auto Archives".

as per solver, if by chance the auto-saves are not set to a regular interval, then the back-up won't be found there. 

It's not a pleasant learning experience, but if it's of any consolation we have all been there. 

• Like 1

I was having major Issues with the Save/Autosave function for the last few weeks causing lockups of 3-9 mins and occasionally full crashes where I'd lose work, but the last Windows' Updates ( 2 on same day about 10days ago) for Windows 10 seem to have fixed it , since I am still on the same projects and there hasn't been an X13 Update in months that is the only thing I can put it down too.  Being M$ Tuesday there should be another Update today......

KB5010415 and  a .net Framework update KB5009467 I believe.

Mick

Yes another M$ Update available today too....

image.thumb.png.9a873d1242c5da80e6db1c9a0323ef12.png

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2022 at 9:11 AM, Kbird1 said:

I was having major Issues with the Save/Autosave function for the last few weeks causing lockups of 3-9 mins and occasionally full crashes where I'd lose work, but the last Windows' Updates ( 2 on same day about 10days ago) for Windows 10 seem to have fixed it , since I am still on the same projects and there hasn't been an X13 Update in months that is the only thing I can put it down too.  Being M$ Tuesday there should be another Update today......

KB5010415 and  a .net Framework update KB5009467 I believe.

Mick

Yes another M$ Update available today too....

image.thumb.png.9a873d1242c5da80e6db1c9a0323ef12.png

Unfortunately for me at least, the Save/AutoSave Lock out is back with the latest/new Microsoft Update on March 9th, 2022 so I will attempt as Rollback.

Mick.

Still locked out 12 mins later.....

image.thumb.png.47b9aef4d7a2a3b5644a45e80838cc59.png

**** Update:  The Rollback ( uninstall of KB KB5011487 )  to  KB5010415 has fixed the Issue again for me

M.

Edited by Kbird1
**TO CONFIRM MICROSOFT UPDATE ISSUE

On 3/9/2022 at 11:48 AM, CharlesVolz said:

Yeppers!

Agreed.

...many many years ago, the initial release of X1 was a nightmare and the program crashed almost hourly.  

This was when most computers were lucky enough to have a single gig of RAM. 

Pretty much everyone had a dedicated hotkey (with a save function). 

That said, doing a save every so often is simply a good idea, especially after a plowing through a couple of hours of work.