Rim not showing up in section view

builtright3

53 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

This happened to me the other day when I was using floor trusses. I ended up adding the rim boards in manually and it worked great. Not sure why they didn't auto generate.

Just now, joey_martin said:

You need to give that "attic" room a name and floor platform to get a rim joist.

I have seen the rim before and then there are times when I dont see it, so I must be doing something that Im un aware of. Does not make sense to not have that backing for the drywall.

9 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I have seen the rim before and then there are times when I dont see it, so I must be doing something that Im un aware of. Does not make sense to not have that backing for the drywall.

Not sure what you're expecting but a 'Rim Joist' typically doesn't create "backing for the drywall."

rim joist.png

Is it possible you've raised the roof creating the taller attic space Joey's referring to? Instead of a second floor? That's the only way I can get a section to look like the one you've posted. I don't know how to define a 'room' like Joey's suggesting on the attic floor but maybe I'm missing something?

section 1.png

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your time guy's.
I settled with the fact that what Im looking for has to be drawn in manualy. I went back and looked at previous drawing and I didnt see it in any of them. You would think it would add a ceiling joist up against the gable wall automatically but the simple truth is that is doesnt. Im not going to call the attic a floor becasue that will casue other issues. I also when back to X10 and it did the same thing.
I will stick with "KISS" and not try to make things more complicated.

There's a "Framing Reference" that Chief has to set up framing in a specific manner but WILL NOT allow a ceiling joist in the location you are looking for. Does seem a bit strange but manually adding a ceiling joist is probably the only way to have Chief frame it the way you want, and in my mind "correctly" as well.

23 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

There's a "Framing Reference" that Chief has to set up framing in a specific manner but WILL NOT allow a ceiling joist in the location you are looking for. Does seem a bit strange but manually adding a ceiling joist is probably the only way to have Chief frame it the way you want, and in my mind "correctly" as well.

I noticed you have a rim joist checked in the floor section of the dbx but it is actually an attic where no rim would be.

13 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I noticed you have a rim joist checked in the floor section of the dbx but it is actually an attic where no rim would be.

It looks like he was never looking for a "Rim" but a joist set along the edge of the ceiling for backing. Do you know how to get a joist there auto?

54 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I was just showing that picture as an example of what I would exspect on the ceiling framing also. Maybe not call it a rim but maybe drywall backing or ledger or something like that.

7 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I was just showing that picture as an example of what I would exspect on the ceiling framing also. Maybe not call it a rim but maybe drywall backing or ledger or something like that.

Starting the ceiling framing at the edge of the wall to act as backing is pretty standard. Not sure why Chief, not only doesn't, but also won't allow it to be framed that way automatically.  

17 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Starting the ceiling framing at the edge of the wall to act as backing is pretty standard. Not sure why Chief, not only doesn't, but also won't allow it to be framed that way automatically.  

Yep^_^
Seems easy to us but maybe its not so easy programing it. Giving them the benefit of the doubt 

30 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Yep^_^
Seems easy to us but maybe its not so easy programing it. Giving them the benefit of the doubt 

This is not that uncommon in Chief as most of the engineers are software engineers and not builders so it doesn't come as naturally to them as is sometimes expected. 

33 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

This is not that uncommon in Chief as most of the engineers are software engineers and not builders so it doesn't come as naturally to them as is sometimes expected. 

...and here's the smallest of details to show the software engineers can learn form building practices. For many years the drywall layers showed that the walls were basically put on first and then the ceiling. As an ex drywall contractor this made me nuts, even though it's the smallest of details. I just noticed in your pic and the latest detail that the drywall is now shown correctly with the ceiling placed above the walls instead of the ceiling placed next to the walls. Don't know when this was changed but Bravo to the Chief guys for noticing and changing this.

ceiling drywall.png