How to specify and control roll out trays inside cabinets? The scooped-front shallow drawer type?

GeneDavis

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

I searched the forum and could not find.  I looked hard at the cabinet spec dialog and cannot see it.

Gene:

Check out this article from the knowledge base:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03142/replacing-a-cabinet-s-standard-shelves-with-rollout-shelves-or-drawers.html

- Eric

• Upvote 1

I did search HELP in Chief.  I see going to shelf manual spec, and for help I get "click the LIBRARY button to select a shelf, storage, or organizational object from the Library Browser."  The library browser has nothing for rollout shelf drawers.

I built a rollout shelf drawer and imported the SU model into my Chief Library.  See the pic below.  I specified it (this was a mistake) as a door/drawer. I deleted it and imported again as a fixture and things work now as expected.  But not quite.

See the section view I included.  I built the SU model to a width 10mm less than the inside opening of the tall pantry cabinet, which when the unit is centered, yields the required 5mm clearance for the intended Blum Tandem slides.  Chief takes a shelf and refits it to fill the entire cabinet inside width, as if it is a fixed shelf.

I now see that if I had done appropriate stretch planes in the rollout door symbol, it will allow me to have the same "handle scoop" cutout width, no matter the width of a cabinet into which my symbol is placed.  That's kinda nice, but how could one do the side space?

And note in the section view how Chief places the rollout trays tight to the inside BACK of the cabinet.  I built the symbol with 22" depth to match the intended drawerslide length, and the cabs into which these rollouts went are 24 and 26.5 deep, so they are inset and not 1/4" back from the carcase front where I would prefer.  How to make that happen?  Any advice?

Pantry cab open.jpg

Basecabs rollouts.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

Here is a workaround that gives what's needed.  I rebuilt a drawer-tray with an element around its sides and back that fakes the clearances.  In the symbol dialog, I made the material for the wrap element "insulation air gap."  I use Sketchup for this, but it could be built in Chief (I think.)

As can be seen in the Chief render, it works.  This, in PBR.  If you render in something that has edge lines, you'll see the edges of the air-gap wrap though.

Screenshot 2022-02-22 103303.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-22 103129.jpg

30 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Here is a workaround that gives what's needed.

A method that works in any view using an adjusted Rev-A-Shelf rollout. I have a bunch of other but for simplicity no need to build unless you really want to. This is for a single door cabinet offset more on the door side as is standard (I never put rollouts in double door cabinets, instead that width cabinet would be a 2drawer with an RO or 3 drawer) I don't bother to put the hardware for the offset either but certainly doable. The offset from the cabinet sides is achieved increasing the bounding box, then changing the X origin to offset to one side. TO get correct location within cabinet the Y origin is adjusted. I locked the depth so this is only for a 24" deep cabinet. You would need a left, a right and one centered with no X origin change for doubles. Place in library. IT is possible to NOT lock the depth OR to make special depths for more control.

image.thumb.png.786086dee6c9103efbb3a4b8f04f3213.pngimage.thumb.png.9f2048583044a68b57c0757c82dccb84.pngimage.thumb.png.7509a27a5de5635b4b499add57d31c09.png

Note that you need more clearance on both sides for typical double door frameless cabinet unless you want to run into issues with the hinges. Also doors on frameless do not completely clear the inside of the sides the way Chief shows them. Attached library has 3 ROS set for proper clearances.

ROs.calibz

Thanks, Mark!  I had a feeling the Cabinet Wizard would weigh in, and I have downloaded your trays.

When doing actual cabinet build prep, which I do for some of the kitchen and bath work, I'll use either spacer blocks to create the side clearance, or no blocks, and zero protrusion hinges.  See the Blum catalog cut, attached.  Use of these hinges puts the doors, when opened 90 degrees, just like Chief depicts open doors. 

Screenshot 2022-02-22 121359.jpg