Curved Stairs vs.code

BruceKC

Are there any workarounds to insure that curved stairs meet IRC tread depth requirements?  Minimum interior radius depth cannot be less that 6" and the walk-line tread depth can be no less than 10".  I don't see any way to make certain that my curved stairs meet code.  I'm sure there are workarounds but can't seem to find any.  Also, is there no way to "open" the stair dialogue to see or adjust the radius?   Thanks everyone.

Workarounds is probably not the right term. Think 'work'. You'll need to know the math, and often you'll need to do some basic cad drafting to provide accurate reference points and lines.

Just like a carpenter would on site or in a factory / shop.

If you're not sure how to do that, you may need to ask / hire someone for guidance. Perhaps a few lessons from an expert or you could get someone to make the necessary adjustments to your plan after you've roughly laid out what you have in mind.

Bruce,

Curved Stairs are not the same as Spiral Stairs.  It's unlikely that you would have a Curved Stair with a Radius less than a couple of feet.  So it's also extremely unlikely that the tread depth at the walk-line would be less than 10".

IAE, you sort of need to do a little CAD work to check the treads at the walk-line.  This is what we get paid for.

Of course you realize that CA is not going to do code checking.  ;)

If your stair is set to use the walk line, then the tread depth is already calculated along the walk line.  Otherwise, it is along the center line of the stair.

I don't believe the program has any built in ability to limit the inside length of the tread or allow you to specify the exact radius of the curve.  You should make one or more feature requests for what you would like the program to do differently.

walkline.png

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BruceKC said:

Also, is there no way to "open" the stair dialogue to see or adjust the radius?

Just like in the Real world ---  build the curved Walls 1st - those you can set the Radius for in Chief, (no curved wall in your plan?

then just delete it when done) , as the curved Stairs will snap to the curved Wall , they also snap pretty well to a CAD ARC 

image.thumb.png.d8c0fcb588fa873e27632f62bc2dd291.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...