Object Layers

DenisePac

Is there a way to pre-select an object layer you want an item you're drawing to be applied to prior to to drawing it?  For example, I am working on site plan, I'm creating a new polyline as the properly setback line.  The new polyline defaults to the layer - CAD-Default automatically.  Rather than having to open up the newly-drawn polyline object specifications and changing the layer to CAD-Plot Plan within its properties, is there a way I can highlight or pre-select the layer I want objects to be on ahead of time?  It would be nice to be able to pre-select the object layer you want to add objects to all at once.  It would save a lot of time.  Let me know if I'm not clear in explaining this.   Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, DenisePac said:

Is there a way to pre-select an object layer you want an item you're drawing to be applied to prior to to drawing it?  For example, I am working on site plan, I'm creating a new polyline as the properly setback line.  The new polyline defaults to the layer - CAD-Default automatically.  Rather than having to open up the newly-drawn polyline object specifications and changing the layer to CAD-Plot Plan within its properties, is there a way I can highlight or pre-select the layer I want objects to be on ahead of time?  It would be nice to be able to pre-select the object layer you want to add objects to all at once.  It would save a lot of time.  Let me know if I'm not clear in explaining this.   Thoughts?

The Saved Plan View has certain defaults that you can set wherever you want those items to be assigned to (look at the bottom default option for that SPV.)

If you use the "Edit Active View" tool and go to the "Selected Defaults" panel, you can change the "Current CAD Layer" for the current view.  Most general purpose cad objects will use the current cad layer by default when they are drawn.  If you want to control what layer other objects are placed on, you should review the list of defaults that are available in this same panel. 

Much more detailed information about controlling layers can be found in the training videos.

current cad layer.png

• Upvote 1

I've also recently discovered the "layer painter", less cumbersome than opening up the dialog box and navigating to the layer and changing it, for after the fact "i forgot to change the layer" happenings.

...just need a font height painter and all my lack of planning will be solved

4 hours ago, DenisePac said:

It sounds like you were not in the Plot Plan Saved Plan View (SPV) when you drew the SB Line, as it would of been placed on CAD, Plot Plan automatically... remember to switch Disciplines' as needed on the SPV Menu, same as you would switch to the Electrical SPV before doing Electrical Work

image.thumb.png.99e5e76e87e9b0bbc9309f5b76c6d19a.png