Hardware in X13 Schedules

SusanC

The automatic hardware column in X13 for Schedules is great!  I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the word "(PULL)" that automatically populates in the description box?   I can't seem to locate where that was embedded.  Please see attached screen shot.  

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.17.26 AM.png

My guess would be from the Automatic Description , which is normally Supplied by the Symbol Name , so opening it and changing it

may do it?

It does look like (PULL) is being added to every entry though even the knobs , so there maybe a bug ,

so maybe post a small test Plan so People can have a "play" and figure it out

M.  

That word (pull) comes from the component tab of the cabinet. For some reason, almost every (if not every) cabinet handle reports as (pull) in the component tab. Despite the fact that there is no symbol option titled Pull. It would seem that every hardware symbol that has the Option Treat as Handle checked, then reports as pull. This must be hardcoded, perhaps a relic of code that lingers from who-knows-when. It would appear that this cannot be changed.

32 minutes ago, robdyck said:

That word (pull) comes from the component tab of the cabinet.

That was my 2nd thought and why I wanted to look at a test Plan , but it sounds like it needs reporting so they can Clean it up,

hopefully in the next X13 update.

M.

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

Done!  I posted in the Suggestions forum to have (PULL) removed.  

It'd be best to report to Tech. Support with a copy of your Plan file , suggestions , may or may not ever be acted on....

Thanks, M.

Thanks.  I have sent this request to tech support and several other contacts I have at Chief so perhaps (PULL) will be gone in the next version of Chief.  In the meantime they suggested a work around of changing the schedule to text and editing out the (PULL), but I don't see a way to go back from text to schedule again and I really need the 3d elevations so I will live with (PULL) for now.

4 hours ago, SusanC said:

I really need the 3d elevations so I will live with (PULL) for now.

Had a quick go at this with Ruby. Here's a way with two macros (attached) Now these are not perfect. "hardwareDwr" reads from the top most face item, "hardware_Dr" reads from the second face item down. They are placed in custom OIP fields. Included both the oob category and those in the schedule. (plan also attached)

image.thumb.png.cdf1e2a07cebc6a8ef3c7cec2cfa5753.png

There are situations where this would not work  would be if you had 2 drawers with doors below. I didn't write one for a 3rd face item but if you look at them in Text Macro measurement you could copy one and change the number to 3..etc.

Also if you had all drawers you would just use hardwareDwr. With a full height door you would still use that even though it suggests it's for a drawer. You could always rename them to avoid confusion (but it's late and I was just roaming the house for a bit)

It is possible to write a more robust macro but that is beyond what I know off the top so would require more work than I need to do. There are a few folks who write macros that could make something that would be good for all face configurations. It is also possible to write something to give quantities but again out of my realm currently. This at least gives you a direction and would be live.

No Pull.json NoPull.zip

On 10/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, SusanC said:

automatic hardware column in X13 for Schedules is great!

I woke up thinking about this a bit differently.and wondering what it is you like about the output?

Is it the total quantity listing? IF so then I don't see a way to solve that but maybe others do.

Just the hardware name OTOH is  simpler than what I posted in the middle of the night (figures)

Since in most all cases you have to enter the hardware name anyway it is faster and easier to change by simply entering it into the OIP fields in the cabinet defaults.  Enter the hardware name in both door and drawer custom OIP fields in defaults for base cabinets, and just the door field for wall cabinets.

Then go around the room and select any all drawer cabinets and delete the Door Hdwr entry.

IF wall cabinets have a drawer add that copy/past that entry. It's pretty quick and works with grouped schedule items.

image.thumb.png.412e72de149b75a1e25b5663eb641397.pngimage.thumb.png.a6bed452c8020fd54e95b228c61a7388.png

If doing multiple cabinet styles  say in another room I use Style Palettes. You need one for each base, wall and tall cabinets. Place default cabinets, then select a base, style palette Create New, properties, clear all, then only check off the finish, door and drawer style. If need be you can also select Box Construction and Framed Separation if need be i.e to change from frameless to inset. Just don't select the custom object fields if you use more than the two for hardware (I always have others and for specific cabinets and don't want those to be overwritten)

Where a macro would make sense is to get the quantity PER cabinet. I don't see a way to get a total for the job. A macro could be written to determine quantity based on  the number of doors or drawers  such as

image.thumb.png.3239615a6d618d08a0f3ed139510286e.png

You would then enter the macros in your OIP fields along with the name.image.thumb.png.8852d3becb26ba4ec9c9265c197634eb.png

Here is one group with that in the schedule

image.thumb.png.01a60e854a325615ffe49b99e21aac22.png

It's also possible to adjust the number of drawer pulls by drawer width. (again there are folks on the forum who you can hire to do that for you)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for having a go at this!  I need the hardware brand and model I'm using and the quantity in the columns.  I used to manually enter the name of the hardware and the quantity for each cabinet until I realized that was more time consuming than creating my own hardware for the room.  I drop a piece of Chief hardware from their catalog into the plan, adjust the size to what I need, rename it with the manufacturer's code and then save the piece into my custom library (and delete the piece I altered in plan).  This way, when I place the hardware on the cabinet, my schedule populates automatically with the correct name for the hardware and figures out the quantity.  I will live with (PULL) in the column for now and hope that Chief has time to remove it for the next release.  

Susan

Mark, 

I just re-read your suggestions this morning and if I'm understanding correctly in your second post, you've written a macro to get the quantity, but you've still had to enter the hardware name into the macro itself?  No matter what I do, I will be doing something manually, it is just a matter of selecting which option I think is most efficient.  When I said originally I was entering the hardware name by hand, I was doing it as you mentioned, into a custom field in the OIP in the cabinet defaults, but since we use multiple hardware pieces in a kitchen, for example, I was still doing a lot of manual entering which is what led me to just creating my own hardware library, thus allowing me to select a piece and have the schedule populate automatically.  Thanks again for your thoughts on this.  

Susan

The first macro posted reads the name from cabinet DBX which would be on your symbol.

The second one you place the name in the defaults of the OIP so no need to mess with the symbol. I'd also worked out a simple macro that reads the quantity in most cases. To read quantity for all cabinet configurations is a bit more complicated. I messed with it a bit more last night but did not finish it. A) since you didn't seem interested B) it's not something I would use since I never order hardware from the cabinet company so I don't want it in that schedule. I was also under the false impression that Chief totaled the hardware for all the cabinets but I see that it does not.

I did see a use for the method for other things that a few clients need, door/drawer sizes and openings so kept at it a bit. Also, I use cabinet schedules to generate orders. It occurred to me that if I worked this out I could generate a total for hardware similar to how I generate a cabinet order but not have it in the printed cabinet schedule. (-at the end of a job, not before and not live). I have at least one client for whom that would be useful. I believe I've figured out (most) of it. Will see if I can do what I need somewhere in the next few weeks. (haha) Work has snowballed this week so won't be for a while, I'm not a Ruby expert.

Again, there are a few folks on the forum who could spit this out for a reasonable fee. I'd been going back and forth between some more training or just hiring someone to do the ones that I need. Since I'm close I'll be going down the rabbit hole first :) ...maybe.

You are correct, it would be complicated to try and total up the hardware when I have multiple sizes of pulls combined with the knobs.  I'm simply using these columns in the cabinet schedule to help with the ordering of the hardware, not submitting this schedule to the cabinet company.  It is a huge help to have hardware listed in a column and a 3d view of the cabinet right there to double check against.  Maybe as I get further along using schedules I will adjust, but for now this is very helpful.  :)