older versions compatible newer versions

halshomes

I have searched this forum with the Title phrase and others looking to find and answer to my question. 

So I enlisted the help of a interior designer on a project and she has the X 12 version and I have X 9 and I assumed I would be able to import her plans similar to saving  CA to an Autocad readable format By choosing to save it as whatever the version Autocad the other user is currently using. I don't see this a an option? 

Is there a way for me (X 9) to open her files (X12)?

Thanks in advance.

No, you cannot open any X12 plan or layout files in X9.  X12 can open X9 plan files but older versions of the program can't open newer plan versions.  There are a number of other things you could do though:

- You could have her export the plan as a DXF/DWG file using an autocad format that your X9 version can read.  Should work about as well as it does in autocad.  This will just be cad though and not a real Chief model.

- You could have her export the 3D model of the plan using a 3D format that your X9 version can read.  This will be a static 3D model that you can't really modify though.

- You could open the file in the X13 desktop viewer.

- You could open the file in the X13 trial version.

- You could see if she still has X9 and is willing and able to work with you by using X9 for her part of the project.

- You could also upgrade.  Although if she is using X12 and you are using X13, you will have the reverse problem.

saving  CA to an Autocad readable format By choosing to save it as whatever the version Autocad the other user is currently using

Note:  Autocad is 2D software and can be saved as an older version - because it is simple cad lines

Chief is 3D and thus the plans are far more "complex" and it is not feasible to save as an older version

Lew