Complete set of blueprints

Rkey6936

Hello everyone.  I'm about to begin a major remodel and house addition.  I will be required to furnish a complete set of prints to the building and planning department.  I have used Autocad for many years, but have recently changed jobs and no longer have access to it.  Will I be able to make a complete set of drawings with Home Designer Professional?  I will need foundation, electrical, plumbing etc.  I really don't want to spend $2000 or $3000 on Autocad.  HD Pro in around 500 now.  Thanks in advance.

RK

If you're already familiar with AutoCAD, why not just lease it for a few months, or better yet, use one of the many AutoCAD clones out there like Draftsight ($200 for a year).  I just think its hard to justify learning a whole new software for a one-off project like that.   If you had no other software experience that would be one thing, but I would think that sticking with what you know would be more efficient.

• Upvote 1

I pickup up TurboCad Deluxe last yr instead of Draftsight as I prefer not to be on a subscription, they just released the 2021 update about a month ago and it has some nice improvements. ( Deluxe has 3D , some of the Cheaper Products are 2D only )

https://www.turbocad.com/turbocad-windows-2021/turbocad-deluxe-permanent.html

Check the bundles pricing too , eg if you want TurboPDF as well.

they also have a 50% off Sale on till Wed.  (28th July) on their Companion Products eg TuboPDF4  ( Foxit Clone)   and PDF2CAD

http://r.news.imsidesign.com/mk/mr/tGRwNgeUjX0MNbD7eNiGLFwTtd81y9rhK3OtZL5jHZqOW5unmWrxm-EuuGJHSCRhsgjZFh6JDLxERGNQqemlahKxAZh7P0V6i5So2MerJ0714qcGHQ

***Disclaimer  :   I am in NO WAY associated with with TurboCAD or IMSI Design Products.

Mick.

1 hour ago, Rkey6936 said:

So with turbocad, I can make all the required drawings for electrical, foundation and plumbing?

If you know CAD already , then it is no different , although the way they do things may not be exactly the same as ACAD, there is a training bundle available to get you upto speed but I'd say download the Trial Version and see if you like it 1st. They have Cheaper Versions even for 2D only , I think it is called Designer no Deluxe.

Mick.

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

If you know CAD already , then it is no different , although the way they do things may not be exactly the same as ACAD,

I'd say it's a fair bit different. I've used one version or another for over 20 years and prefer it but some things can throw you off a bit.  3D in it is a bear to learn IMO. Closest to ACAD clone is Intellicad and ProgeCad, though both now have 3D which I'm guessing is in current versions of ACAD. Those as well as NanoCad will support LISP and have similar command windows. NanoCad has a Free version. Of all the free CAD options I liked it the best for 2D, might start there.

Will I be able to make a complete set of drawings with Home Designer Professional?

Hi:

maybe using HD PRO ?

however, the layout is for one page at a time with a max size of 12 x 18

while PRO has many manual tools like roofs and framing and cabinets

there are limitations to the software that may cause "hinderance" - maybe not

start with PRO for $500 and if the limitations become an issue

you can upgrade to Premier and the $500 is applied to the upgrade

after your are done - Chief Premier can be sold for about 80% of the cost

the cad tools in PRO or Premier are different than in Autocad

so there is learning curve for using the software

there is a comparison chart on CA's website for seeing the feature differences between PRO and Premier

keep in mind PRO is $500 while Premier is $3000 

hence the various limitations in PRO

many projects have been done in PRO if you can live with the limitations

personally I have suggested that PRO be called Deluxe 

the PRO name gives the impression that it is meant for building professionals

and that may be a stretch ...

Lew

Lew

• Upvote 1

I have Pro 2021 and Chief X12 and X13…HDPro, beginning with 2021 will print C and D size sheets directly…no more limits…being a recent user of both packages and having completed permit ready ( and subsequently permits issued) construction sets with both packages, my opinion is Chief Premiere is the way to go. 

As I used HD Pro I frequented both products forums for info. Watching tutor videos posted by some very smart guys on both forums demonstrated some of the differences between the two products…and layout tools for Premiere were often featured…I can easily say for me, the layout capabilities of Premiere ,alone, made the upgrade worth the money…

Subsequent use and discovery of Premiere tools and methods that make life easier only confirmed the decision. Now if I can just get away from some bad habits developed while using HD PRO and get a better grasp of layers and saved plan views…

Regards

Rick