Contact information not going to layout macro fields

Peter_S

Hi Chief champions. I'm looking for help...

I have just amended my layout template and saved to a new name

For some reason it is not picking up Designer information or Client information (from plan sent to layout)
to insert into the fields on Page 0. (worked perfectly before)
For some reason it seems that the layout and plan files have their own separate fields for this. The layout fields (for project information) are blank, despite information being in the same fields on plan when being sent to new layout.
What's happening here?
All help appreciated
Layout file is attached.

BSA - X12.2 Bottom.layout

As far as I know they have never been linked. I think there have been suggestions that they should be or have the option to be automatically updated from the plan file but I am sure chief has their reasons not to do it.  It seems to be a feature that is used in different ways by different users with different workflows.

Chop is correct.  The 2 have never been linked.  There are other methods of dealing with this stuff using custom text macros, but to simply use the built in system I think it’s typically best to enter that information in layout instead of plan since it’s usually being USED in layout and not in the plan file.

I agree with Michael.

There's a reason that the Plan and Layout fields are not linked.  Very simply, you can have more than one Plan from which you send views to a Layout.  Chief wouldn't know which data to use in the Layout.

I'm not sure why those fields are even included in the Plan files - except that the actual Plan & Layout file structures are basically identical.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys

Yes, it seems the layout only takes the contact information from the layout files and not plan files.

For some reason I thought plan fields carried across to layout when creating new layouts.

The information can be entered in several places

So you can enter (different sets of) Designer information in Preferences, Plan and Layout. Client information can be entered in Plan and Layout. 

BTW, with X-13 we can add Text and Rich-Text to the user Library.

I have a couple of Rich Text Boxs with Contact Info Macros stored in my user library.  I can add this to any Plan View simply by getting it from the Library.  That is the easiest way to display the data, insuring that it's "Plan Specific"

Designer Info RTB.JPG

Note that if yhou want to do the same for Layouts, you will need to set the Text Size to Sheet Size units - otherwise it will be very large.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I'm not sure why those fields are even included in the Plan files - except that the actual Plan & Layout file structures are basically identical.

Because we can (and some users do) print from plan view?

Thanks again for your input

Here is the reply given by Tech support:

HI Peter,
Thank you for reaching out. Designer Information is a Preference Setting accessed through
Preferences>Text
- Define Default Designer Information
or after a plan has been created through
Tools>Project Information>Designer Information
This information is set at the plan or layout's creation, so if the Default Designer Information had not been set prior to the plan or layout's creation it would have to created through the Tools>Project Information>Designer Information path, after creation.
In examining the layout it looks like it was originally created in X11 and recently opened and Saved in X12. If this is a template that you typically reuse, I suggest using the Create Custom Template Option as detailed in the following link:
https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03094/creating-custom-templates-from-existing-projects.html
In my testing I took your BSA-X12 layout and set it as a template, then when I opened the Layout from the template state I was able to see updated information for the layout. I did have to open the client information text box on page 0 of the layout to force the update, but I did not have to recreate the entire text box.
I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you need additional assistance or clarification.

I hope this helps others as well