sirwilliam

Imported 3D Symbol (3Ds) Rendering Wrong

I have created a simple 3D model in Blender, and am trying to now import it into chief X5 as a 3ds. I've done this before with other models (which were successful), but this one is giving me no end of trouble.

I've been battling with various settings in both Blender and chief and I still can't get it to look right. I have enabled "Cull Layered Transparent Surfaces" in the object properties which improved the situation, but it still looks like this, with the wheels showing through the body (no matter which angle you view from). As you can see from the screenshot, it is shown in the preview window without a problem at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing it or how I could set the model up differently to avoid this issue?

post-3447-0-09614900-1417776455_thumb.png

Sometimes the material can cause that but another possibility is to try a DAE(Collada) file. It's Blender's default export/import format and Chief imports them pretty well. It also triangulates the mesh during export so Chief has an easier time reading in the faces.

Thanks for the help! Would that be some sort of transparency issue or some sort layering thing?

I can't see the option to import from DAE, is this possible in X5? I only have DWG, DXF, OBJ, 3DS, SKP

this forum won't let me upload blend files

most file types have to be zipped first

Lew

Thank you Sir for posting the blend file.  Will have a closer look in the morning.  Cheers!

Thank you very much! Was this issue maybe caused by a dodgy alpha channel in the png itself, or could it be reported as a problem with chief?