Alienware m17 with Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Rendering Test

ToddSull

I just received my new laptop and tested a full rendering under default in Chief 12.

Laptop is an Alienware m17 R4 running:

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10870H
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 16GB GDDR6
32GB DDR4 2933MHz
1TB (2x 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD) RAID0 [Boot] + 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD [Storage]
It's dam fast!
My prior laptop took 54 minutes to run this identical rendering.
The M17 took 2.46 minutes. 
My old laptop was a Lenovo Legion Y520 with an i7-7700HQ 2.8ghz and Nvidia card.
Just thought I'd post that information. 

Todd, looks like a worthy upgrade and these threads can be very valuable for future purchases but can't quite understand the details of your test. You ran a RayTrace on a file - which file? Under default in Chief? What is default under Chief? Can you please post a little more detail, or even the RT file so we can get a better grip on the results?

THANKS

...and typically RayTracing use the CPU and not the GPU but I wonder how much effect the powerful 3080 had on the results - if any.

10 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Todd, looks like a worthy upgrade and these threads can be very valuable for future purchases but can't quite understand the details of your test. You ran a RayTrace on a file - which file? Under default in Chief? What is default under Chief? Can you please post a little more detail, or even the RT file so we can get a better grip on the results?

THANKS

...and typically RayTracing use the CPU and not the GPU but I wonder how much effect the powerful 3080 had on the results - if any.

I also question the stated RayTrace performance gain. If I access the theoretical gains based on comparing the old CPU and the new one I would anticipate that a 54 minute Raytrace would now run in about 18 minutes, not the stated 2.46 minutes. Seems to me that there might have been some differences in the Raytrace settings. The new system is powerful and a solid upgrade but not sure it's that fast.