JAB522

How can you create a Tray Ceiling without a Cantilevered Underside?

Is there a way to create a Tray Ceiling without the cantilevered underside? I've been able to achieve something close to what I want by setting the initial trey ceiling width to 1" but it still shows a lip or ledge around the top of the wall. Also I'm trying to preserve my wall height. Meaning if my wall height is 94" and I want a tray that starts flush from that wall height and pitches in with no cantilevered lip. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions! 

Here is an image of the type of tray ceiling I'm trying to create in my 3D models. 

1598772457_MasterBathroom(2).thumb.jpg.3ba055a0f3541c3ecee016390de568a6.jpg

Use a molding.

image.thumb.png.a920606ca658d3c8333accddb3b3019c.pngimage.thumb.png.5e86d6ae4b32a3d7d5c947a9ef679f51.png

• Like 1

@MarkMc thanks so much that’s a great suggestion I will give that a try. 

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, JAB522 said:

Is there a way to create a Tray Ceiling without the cantilevered underside? I've been able to achieve something close to what I want by setting the initial trey ceiling width to 1" but it still shows a lip or ledge around the top of the wall. Also I'm trying to preserve my wall height. Meaning if my wall height is 94" and I want a tray that starts flush from that wall height and pitches in with no cantilevered lip. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions! 

Here is an image of the type of tray ceiling I'm trying to create in my 3D models. 

1598772457_MasterBathroom(2).thumb.jpg.3ba055a0f3541c3ecee016390de568a6.jpg

There is a tool in Chief X12 that allows you to get this ceiling in about 10 seconds...watch the video

Chief Architect Premier X12 - Tray Ceilings in less than 1 minute — Watch Video

83ef2548491e476c96db2a62f48b4f27-with-play.gif

• Like 1

@SNestor this is amazing thank you! So easy when you know! I didn’t use the recess into the ceiling. Thank you so much for the straightforward and simple answer! I genuinely appreciate it, this definitely helps. 

9 hours ago, SNestor said:

There is a tool in Chief X12 that allows you to get this ceiling in about 10 seconds...watch the video

Chief Architect Premier X12 - Tray Ceilings in less than 1 minute — Watch Video

83ef2548491e476c96db2a62f48b4f27-with-play.gif

Good Day @SNestor, followed the steps which worked perfectly but I'm getting a gap between my wall and the tray ceiling. I've attached an image below of what's happening. Thanks for your advice. 

Tray Ceiling.jpg

17 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Use a molding.

image.thumb.png.a920606ca658d3c8333accddb3b3019c.pngimage.thumb.png.5e86d6ae4b32a3d7d5c947a9ef679f51.png

Hi @MarkMc, Is this a custom molding you created? The only crown molding in the library I can find close to the one you used (which looks exactly like what I need) is the CA-35 and that has a flat front. Many thanks! 

You can always use  a  custom ceiling planes to do the job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAB522 said:

Hi @MarkMc, Is this a custom molding you created? The only crown molding in the library I can find close to the one you used (which looks exactly like what I need) is the CA-35 and that has a flat front. Many thanks! 

Yes custom molding takes a minute to make

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Yes custom molding takes a minute to make

@MarkMc Super thanks for confirming! 

58 minutes ago, GaryOhmer said:

You can always use  a  custom ceiling planes to do the job

@GaryOhmer thanks so much, I appreciate the suggestion will give that a try also.