Run both CA Premier and old CA version 10.8 on same computer

rocketman

Does anyone know if I can run both my old CA version 10.8 and the new Premier on the same computer with windows 10? 

I find it easier to start a plan in the old version, which is very easy to use, save it in that version format, then open a copy in Premier and finish it with some the items new to Premier. But Premier wants to use .plan as it's format, so every time I try this on version 10.8 and save it to a different folder it becomes a Premier plan, which of course means I've lost the anility to open it in version 10.8.

Does anyone know a workaround?

You cannot open a file in a previous version full stop.

I would completely ditch the 10.08a version you are wasting your time if you have X12. 10.08a was a good version but even the simple features in that version work better in X12, I am not even sure that 10.08a even runs properly in win10.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, David! 

So, just a bit more on that, do you use a VMWare virtual installation of Windows on another drive? With one version on that drive?

I hadn't thought of that, but now it makes sense. I like to use CA 10.8 because I'm much faster in it; it's a much more simple program. Then I want to be able to make a copy of the file and open it in Premier. Once it opens in Premier I know I can never open it in version 10.8 again, but that's okay.

The way I have it at the moment, once I installed both programs in Windows 10 the Premier version took over, and all .plan associations automatically become Premier, precluding my ability to work my way.

Steve 

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

So, just a bit more on that, do you use a VMWare virtual installation of Windows on another drive?

no, just my old XP disc. For merely converting old file associations before X1 (.pl1. pl2, pl3 etx .CA and .la ), anyone can simply use X8 or a trial version of X8.

DJP

Once it opens in Premier I know I can never open it in version 10.8 again

make a copy first then add V10 to the file name and this copy will open in 10.08

and never open and save it using a later version

I always select the file name using windows explorer by right clicking and selecting "open with" and choosing the ver of Chief I want to use

Lew

or a trial version of X8.

or the X8 client viewer 

I don't see where X8 trial or client viewer is available on CA's website anymore

so you may have to contact CA's customer service to get the download

or have a Chiefer send it to you 

Lew

An X8 version should not be needed since X12 should be able to read any V10 plans.  If you still have any .pl1 files, just open them up in V10 first and then save them.  This will create a .plan file that you can then open in X12.

You don't have to manually make copies of your old V10 plan files.  X12 will automatically create a backup of them in your archives folder when you first save them.  You should still be able to open these archive files in V10.  You may still want to create your own backup/archive system though if it helps you to better keep track of your older files.

once I installed both programs in Windows 10 the Premier version took over, and all .plan associations automatically become Premier, precluding my ability to work my way.

When you installed X12, it took over the system file associations so that all .plan and .layout files will automatically open in X12 whenever you try to open them.  There is no way that I know of to have two different programs associated with a particular file extension.  You can either have V10 associated with them or X12 (or neither) but not both.  If you would rather have V10 associated, you will have to change this manually.

Here is a tech article that includes a link for changing file associations manually:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01131/associating-plan-layout-and-library-files-with-the-latest-version-of-chief-architect-or-home-designer.html

You may also want to check out this migration guide that has a lot of good information about migrating from older versions:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x12-migration-guide.pdf

• Upvote 1