ChiefuserMathews

Stepped Foundation

When I create a foundation from the 1st floor, why is the stepped footing or step foundation created by default for a bay window in the 1st floor? Plan attached. I have not specified any thing to create a stepped footing.

5202 delete.plan

@ChiefuserMathews

I'd say it has something to do with the "auto" bay window tool. When I constructed a manual bay right next to the "auto" bay it built the foundation perfectly. I experimented making the auto bay wider and deeper..but, it still constructed the foundation in the same manner. The auto bay/box/bow window tools are, to be kind, unreliable and I avoid using them.

2020-11-18_22-48-28.thumb.png.205a2846a299a322b78af4003774abe6.png

Try unchecking "Hang 1st Floor Platform Inside Foundation Walls" in the Foundation Defaults in the Build Foundation dbx.

9 hours ago, glennw said:

Try unchecking "Hang 1st Floor Platform Inside Foundation Walls" in the Foundation Defaults in the Build Foundation dbx.

I tried what you are suggesting...and with auto build foundations on, the software moved the entire basement "down" to the footing elevation created under the bay window. So...I don't think this is a great solution. 

Let's just say it...the bay/box/bow window tool is a bad tool...even worse than the current stair tool. And, for me, that's really saying something. :huh:

Steve,

I am not saying that it does or doesn't work properly, just giving my observations.

The stem wall height seems to behave differently for the bay walls and the main floor area walls.

The difference between the 2 footing levels is the same as the floor framing height.

Normally, with that setting checked, the stem wall height is measured from top of footing to top of floor above, and when it is unchecked the stem wall height is measured from top of footing to underside of floor framing - hence the footing height difference between having that setting checked versus unchecked.

For some reason this does not apply to the foundation walls forming a bay window. 

You may be able to get what you want by unchecking Hang 1st Floor Platform Inside Foundation Walls in the Build Foundation dbx and then in the foundation walls dbx's check Hang Floor Platform Above On Wall and check Include Ledger. 

Although, I am not 100% sure about any of the above. :) 

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Although, I am not 100% sure about any of the above

:lol: