Soffit Framing

RobUSMC

I am running new duct work for a vent hood thru a shared wall between the kitchen and garage. Once in the garage it will turn and travel to an exterior wall for venting. All this will be enclosed in a simple soffit. How do I show the framing of the soffit so I can show the duct work inside the framing before drywall?   I know I can build it using slabs but that will take some time.  I thought if a soffit was in placed in a plan I would see the framing in framing view but it does not.

Thanks  Rob

Jim:

I haven't tried it this way.  How do you edit the framing when you do it this way.  Even doing it this way, it must take a little time to get everything the way you want it.

I have seen builders use several different framing techniques for soffits, but never like wall framing.

Rob,

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just create a simple detail and refer to it in your Con Docs? Would take a few minutes at most. Do you need the framing view for a presentation perhaps? Genuinely curious about the thought process because I struggle with the 2 methods (perfect framing model versus quick CAD detail) many times.

Does it matter why? We all work differently. We all have weird situations that pop up that require a lot of effort. Rob may have a very good reason to model the soffit framing, and it may require a long, detailed explanation that isn't relevant to the problem.

BTW Rob, I trained and served with many Marines off and on over the course of my Army career - you fellas are a breed apart. Thanks for your service, and a happy belated Veterans Day to you.

Humble

I guess it's just me having that "everything must be perfect" thought process. Some call it OCD. Being a former Maring and still a pediatric / neonatal flight nurse on top of having a remodeling company I've always been expected to be as detailed as possible. Sometimes it sick but usually a good thing. Thanks for your input.

Does it matter why? We all work differently. We all have weird situations that pop up that require a lot of effort. Rob may have a very good reason to model the soffit framing, and it may require a long, detailed explanation that isn't relevant to the problem.

BTW Rob, I trained and served with many Marines off and on over the course of my Army career - you fellas are a breed apart. Thanks for your service, and a happy belated Veterans Day to you.

To me it matters why so I can perhaps learn something new and understand a little more about how/why others work the way they do and to improve my work flow when possible.

Humble

I guess it's just me having that "everything must be perfect" thought process. Some call it OCD. Being a former Maring and still a pediatric / neonatal flight nurse on top of having a remodeling company I've always been expected to be as detailed as possible. Sometimes it sick but usually a good thing. Thanks for your input.

Yeah been there, done that myself. Don't mean to challenge your reasons just really curious to see what I can learn.