Fbgdesign

Chief freezes when used on side monitor with laptop

Recommended Posts

I have an ASUS ROG laptop to be able to run chief. However, whenever I use a second monitor (HDMI connection) and try and use both screens expanded it will freeze Chief. Has anyone else had that or what causes that to happen? I would have thought a gaming computer would be able to handle graphics on a separate monitor. It has always done this with the past few versions and last few years and with new monitor. Thanks for any advice! 

 

This is my computers info on the 'Gaming Center' that comes up. Sorry I am not a techy person! 

 

Running Chief Architect X12

Asus ROG GL702VSK

Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU 2.80GHz

NVIGIA GeForce GTX 1070 GDDR5 8.0  GB (256 bit)

930GB HD (673 GB available)

12 GB RAM (3.8 available)

Edited by Fbgdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to know for sure.  You computer should be up to it.  I run 3 screens on my 1070. Does this happen with only your current plan file or with others as well ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much any time on any type of file I try to open in the last few years freezes so I have to use my laptop screen only for Chief and side screen for emails etc only. It especially seems to happen when I ask it to render something but I don't think all the time. I just gave up but trying to now figure out the issue. I just bought a new screen and did it again. I have to Cntl-Alt-Delete and close out chief to get it to do anything when it freezes. I didn't know if there was some hidden setting on something I didn't know about. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go into the NVIDIA control panel, manage 3D settings, Program Settings, ADD-navigate to add Chief Architect premier X12. IF you are Ray Tracing also add ChiefArchitectRayTracer.exe

image.png.9bf1c2259984236d09097012c72a9a4a.png

Then go to Set Up Multiple Displays and make sure that your second display is checked.

image.thumb.png.884febd8d9c6636d92a0d12669fe4e03.png

Lastly it can be worthwhile to set the Windows Power Options to Performance.

image.thumb.png.ba149075c7a652826bb376c0779c1508.png

If that is not a choice you may have to create it. Search the web for instructions on creating a performance power plan.

You get there by right clicking on the battery/power icon in the system tray

image.thumb.png.0843b7aafa24d1771cbd7d7338b7d675.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Search the forums for Nahimic service. This is related to sound system. There's been several good posts recently with ideas to deal with this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DianneDSC said:

Search the forums for Nahimic service. This is related to sound system. There's been several good posts recently with ideas to deal with this issue. 

 

 

It appears Joe has deleted that thread for some reason Diane I can't find it, at least not at the moment.

 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21770-external-monitors-not-working/

 

image.thumb.png.08bb9c53ebe4d6d60170728d3c405e43.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 7:10 AM, Fbgdesign said:

I have an ASUS ROG laptop to be able to run chief. However, whenever I use a second monitor (HDMI connection) and try and use both screens expanded it will freeze Chief. Has anyone else had that or what causes that to happen? I would have thought a gaming computer would be able to handle graphics on a separate monitor. It has always done this with the past few versions and last few years and with new monitor. Thanks for any advice! 

 

This is my computers info on the 'Gaming Center' that comes up. Sorry I am not a techy person! 

 

Running Chief Architect X12

Asus ROG GL702VSK

Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU 2.80GHz

NVIGIA GeForce GTX 1070 GDDR5 8.0  GB (256 bit)

930GB HD (673 GB available)

12 GB RAM (3.8 available)

 

 

removing Sonic Radar solved it for me, there was no need to remove Sonic Studio or the " Nahimic Service" which is needed for Sonic Studio to work also , though some have reported they had to remove both the Sonic Apps.

 

The Nahimic Service is the Issue , it can also be stopped in the Services App ( Service.msc in the Run Dialog)

and configured for manual start only or disabled , at least as a Test.

 

The was also a post in that thread about Nahimic having a White and Black List , and adding Chief to the Blacklist but I did not try that.

 

Edit:

think I found it online actually....at Nvidia.....

 

 

Hi Yes there is known issue between Nahimic 3 and other applications (Maya, Substance Painter, 3D applications using OpenGL ). This primary happens when application is started on secondary monitors. some more research is found here:

 

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-freezes-on-secondary-monitor-problem-with-the-nihimic-audio-driver-on-the-motherboard/82258/39

 

All fixes are just .......uninstall the Nahimic 3 Apps....ie Sonic Radar  ( game sound detector) and Sonic Studio (equalizer)

 

For us who don't want accept that solution here is simple fix:

 

Locate this nahimic blacklist  ( maybe in a slightly different place on your PC eg if you have a Dell , see below)

C:\ProgramData\A-Volute\A-Volute.Nahimic\Modules\Scheduled\Configurator\BlackApps.dat

 

and insert your affected executable application to avoid injecting your application by Nahimic tested on Substance Painter.exe

There is no needed to restart PC or Nahimic Service Just save file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Kbird1 said:

removing Sonic Radar solved it for me, there was no need to remove Sonic Studio or the " Nahimic Service" which is needed for Sonic Studio to work also , though some have reported they had to remove both the Sonic Apps.

 

Thank you, Mick, for following up on this thread and posting the links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Kbird1 said:

Locate this nahimic blacklist

C:\ProgramData\A-Volute\A-Volute.Nahimic\Modules\Scheduled\Configurator\BlackApps.dat

 

and insert your affected executable application to avoid injecting your application by Nahimic tested on Substance Painter.exe

There is no needed to restart PC or Nahimic Service Just save file.

 

This has worked for me, so far at least. For my laptop Alienware m17r3 the file location is:

C:\ProgramData\A-Volute\DellInc.AlienwareSoundCenter\Modules\ScheduledModules\Configurator\BlackApps.dat

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DianneDSC said:

 

Thank you, Mick, for following up on this thread and posting the links.

 

No problem , you too, that should help the Dell Users.

 

When I get a minute I'll post this Info over in the Tips Forum so it doesn't disappear again. (I think Joe may have left the Forum?)

 

Mick

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28446
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    ShayKD
    Newest Member
    ShayKD
    Joined