builtright3

External Monitors Not Working

Recommended Posts

So I have had this ongoing problem with my external monitors not working with 3D views. I attached this video for a demonstration for all to see that might be interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdt1baoelacbjre/20190315_153050.mp4?dl=0

 

Things I have tried:

  • Talked to support twice now
  • Tried several different monitors
  • Changes out different types of cables from computer to monitors
  • Updated video card from the NVIDIA site
  • I have also had this problem with two other laptops

At this point I'm just stuck. As you can see in the video I can work around it and that's what I'm doing right now. I think it is something like the problem I was having with the disk drives. That there is just something I'm not understanding or missing. It appears to be software related but I'm just not sure at this point. Very frustrating!

All my computer specs have been updated in my signature so you no what I'm running.

 

I going to wait and see what kind of responses I get on this video from the forum and then I will send it over to Tech support also if I need to.

 

Thank You!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in your vid I noticed that when you had the Windows Task Manager opened that I did not see anything showing up under the GPU column. Typically this would show either GPU(0) or GPU(1). It would appear to me that the external monitors are not directly linked to the GTX 1070. Do you have a dock or are you just using the different ports on the laptop to drive the monitors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also did you set up multiple monitors in the NVidia control panel? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see another option for display monitors to draw from other than the NVIDIA card. Or am I missing something here? Usually there is an on board display card and the NVIDIA card as an option. In this case the NVIDIA card seems to be the only one.

Here is some more information. Not sure if it helps

Capture.thumb.PNG.acac732dd19854a9462eaa3cce6f7f77.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.b966bcef6bb99de427e31967875577e3.PNGCapture3.thumb.PNG.4bf43c3d74b37fdf290b24dd2f096806.PNG
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

in your vid I noticed that when you had the Windows Task Manager opened that I did not see anything showing up under the GPU column. Typically this would show either GPU(0) or GPU(1). It would appear to me that the external monitors are not directly linked to the GTX 1070. Do you have a dock or are you just using the different ports on the laptop to drive the monitors?

 

Does this answer your question? It looks like the GPU is connected to the GTX 1070

Capture4.thumb.PNG.927a359631b50c5cfdf0b13b5efcd804.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm talking about here, did you set this up?

 

DISPLAYS.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm talking about here, did you set this up?

 

DISPLAYS.PNG

 

Is there something more I'm missing here to setup that you see?

Capture5.thumb.PNG.8ef7e541e9b250ef7773a5d115e76161.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

 

Is there something more I'm missing here to setup that you see?

Capture5.thumb.PNG.8ef7e541e9b250ef7773a5d115e76161.PNG

 

Nothing there.....

 

what about the Change resolution TAB?  is each monitor default to it's NATIVE res?  eg 1920x1080 ( or whatever they are)  and also the correct REZ eg 60hz  or 144 for you laptop screen

 

The HDMI monitor isn't being seen as a TV is it ?     it maybe at 30hz if so

 

image.thumb.png.c5002951f9b935d6260a36c647046768.pngimage.thumb.png.8ea1ed41ecbb77e843c4062d5e5f5796.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

 

Nothing there.....

 

what about the Change resolution TAB?  is each monitor default to it's NATIVE res?  eg 1920x1080 ( or whatever they are)  and also the correct REZ eg 60hz  or 144 for you laptop screen

 

The HDMI monitor isn't being seen as a TV is it ?     it maybe at 30hz if so

 

image.thumb.png.c5002951f9b935d6260a36c647046768.pngimage.thumb.png.8ea1ed41ecbb77e843c4062d5e5f5796.png

1.thumb.PNG.dbf62ceb6805dbf1f8791e4261797b8a.PNG2.thumb.PNG.362bb15b6a3b988de7656f2e00829962.PNG3.thumb.PNG.7da8a768d3b6d7602d1c966dc1d46be4.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Should I be using the NVIDIA color setting?

4.thumb.PNG.0bd9edb78f1c9c8f3acec5255951b706.PNG

 

Leave it at default , I have a Colour Calibrator and use DisplayCal3 to use calibrated Colour and USE RGB Mode but unless you really need it use default ..at least at 1st...... one issue at a time :) , not that RGB is an issue....just a preference.

 

Both externals are Using TV Modes (1080p) not a PC Monitor Mode of 1920x1080, did they come with a small driver file/disk? install them if so... ...it's really an .inf file telling Windows how to use them and what modes it has available to be used... (they are perhaps using .inf from Windows Update instead).

**Win10 expects people to hook their Laptops up to a TV via HDMI , so something maybe confused...

 

then see if there is a PC mode with (NATIVE) next to it after a reboot...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may have been what Perry was talking about. I can change the external monitors to GPU instead of display like the laptop.

 

11.PNG

12.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

in your vid I noticed that when you had the Windows Task Manager opened that I did not see anything showing up under the GPU column. Typically this would show either GPU(0) or GPU(1). It would appear to me that the external monitors are not directly linked to the GTX 1070. Do you have a dock or are you just using the different ports on the laptop to drive the monitors?

Are the external monitors supposed to be set to GPU instead of display

11.thumb.PNG.289acc55372a56a521b9e697b777fb6b.PNG12.thumb.PNG.a184598f4ba531c5b4cef1863f4411ff.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set them to PC mode 1st

 

and then try GPU under scaling if you need to to over-ride any Screen built in scaling modes or try full screen or No Scaling ...

 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-value-24-inch-displays/7274745/model/16900554

 

*** add model numbers for your monitors to your Sig. in case someone else can help.... I have no idea which LG you have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Set them to PC mode 1st

 

and then try GPU under scaling if you need to to over-ride any Screen built in scaling modes or try full screen or No Scaling ...

 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-value-24-inch-displays/7274745/model/16900554

 

*** add model numbers for your monitors to your Sig. in case someone else can help.... I have no idea which LG you have...

I think your on to something but it doesn't appear to have a 1920 x 1080 under PC

55.thumb.PNG.de18bfc3227921d77b61a17202a205fc.PNG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the two monitor descriptions. Im going to look for the software and see what is available for download or update.

66.thumb.PNG.876c626e14f263192269384a238ff37e.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Here are the two monitor descriptions. Im going to look for the software and see what is available for download or update.

66.thumb.PNG.876c626e14f263192269384a238ff37e.PNG

 

re-read 2-3 posts above above...... i'll check photos

 

*** LG  27MP38VQ-B    https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-27MP38VQ-B#manuals

 

driver http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=5I7RCNiwpRFXGxsajOlQ

 

*** HP  24y https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-value-24-inch-displays/7274745/model/16900554

 

driver : https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80001-80500/sp80260.exe

 

 

Not sure if they will help , monitors should be Plug and Play, but from my own experience , if the Man. has a driver use it . As mentioned it not a driver in the true sense , it is a list of resolutions basically so Windows knows what is supported and there is usually a .icm or .icc file too, (with the .inf File) which is the Colour profile for the monitor for Windows too.

 

Mick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

 

re-read 2-3 posts above above...... i'll check photos

 

*** LG  27MP38VQ-B    https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-27MP38VQ-B#manuals

 

driver http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=5I7RCNiwpRFXGxsajOlQ

 

*** HP  24y https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-value-24-inch-displays/7274745/model/16900554

 

driver : https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80001-80500/sp80260.exe

 

 

Not sure if they will help , monitors should be Plug and Play, but from my own experience , if the Man. has a driver use it . As mentioned it not a driver in the true sense , it is a list of resolutions basically so Windows knows what is supported and there is usually a .icm or .icc file too, (with the .inf File) which is the Colour profile for the monitor for Windows too.

 

Mick.

 

 

So it is confirmed that the drivers for both monitors I have are current.

 

Thank You

Edited by builtright3
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

 

So it is confirmed that the drivers for both monitors I have are current.

 

Thank You

 

Did you install the ones above or did Windows Update do it when you connected them? the Drivers are not always the same , even if the number is the same.

 

If there is still no Option to Choose a PC resolution , you can try those other setting for scaling  or use Nvidia Control Panel to make a custom Res. for the monitors. The monitor manuals should tell what the default (native)  res. is and what hz it can use , higher is better as far as hz goes if you have a choice but 60 or above is standard , some will also use 72 or 75hz like my Benq.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

 

Did you install the ones above or did Windows Update do it when you connected them? the Drivers are not always the same , even if the number is the same.

 

If there is still no Option to Choose a PC resolution , you can try those other setting for scaling  or use Nvidia Control Panel to make a custom Res. for the monitors. The monitor manuals should tell what the default (native)  res. is and what hz it can use , higher is better as far as hz goes if you have a choice but 60 or above is standard , some will also use 72 or 75hz like my Benq.

Yes I downloaded the drivers about a week ago and I did it using your links when I got them just to be sure.

 

This is the highest resolution numbers go in PC mode

Options are 60hz, 59Hz and 50Hz

77.thumb.PNG.c1cbb893ec7643ee0bfe435df1d69f09.PNG88.thumb.PNG.2be7474fca48be046b96be9c77838dff.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

Yes I downloaded the drivers about a week ago and I did it using your links when I got them just to be sure.

 

This is the highest resolution numbers go in PC mode

Options are 60hz, 59Hz and 50Hz

77.thumb.PNG.c1cbb893ec7643ee0bfe435df1d69f09.PNG88.thumb.PNG.2be7474fca48be046b96be9c77838dff.PNG

 

the most common Vertical Hz is 60 ( some are actually 59.9 which Windows 10 sees as 59 , see note in Nvidia Driver PDFs about this ) so either will work.

 

50hz is not recommended as it could effect some peoples eyes and will also make the mouse a wee bit harder to use ( why gamers all want 120 and 144hz monitors now like your laptop)

 

However your LG is a Full HD  ie 1920 x1080, Native Res., set that and 60hz, but it's supposed to be able to use 75hz too ( which I do on my BenQ monitors via custom Resolution) , Use the mini displayport here as it is better for higher freq. Hz   (see Spec Sheet attached)

 

Your HP is also FULL HD  but is only 60hz  see attached .......... (HDMI should work fine for 60hz but use miniDP if there are two)

 

M.

27MP38VQ Spec Sheet.pdf

HP 24y Product Specifications.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always told , when using multiple monitors try to get the same resolution on each one. I set all mine to 1080p native resolution. Never had any problems. They are all 1080p monitors. You can only get 1080p using "HDMI" cables

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can only get 1080p using "HDMI" cables

 

Although earlier HDMI versions didn't go beyond 1080p, the newer versions support higher resolutions such as 4K (3840x2160) but its the usual minefield of GPU, cable, refresh rate and monitor support.

 

I currently mix resolutions across 27", 32" & 40" monitors without issue (my work requires various screen sizes) but its luck of the draw these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can only get 1080p using "HDMI" cables

 

Personally I Use DisplayPort for the BenQ monitors (2160x1440p) to ensure Full bandwidth and colour , I also have a Full HD 23" NEC (1920x1080) hooked up via DVI-D and have no issues.

 

Most LED Monitors these days use 1080p ( Older CRT monitors could be 1080i too) or higher eg QHD (2K) or 4K , but I was thinking that because the Monitors are using a "TV" mode rather than a PC mode that the issue is likely a Scaling Issue and that the Nvidia Driver isn't using the correct scaling as TVs and Monitors handle scaling differently usually , my Samsung Tv for instance actually has a PC mode to ensure fullscreen picture.  The Fix maybe in the Scaling Options , though I am not sure why there isn't a PC option in the List of Choices to select if there isn't.

 

Another possible cause would be someone choosing different modes in the Monitor's own menu etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd check the monitors OSD menu to see if anything there though not likely. Would also open the Intel control just for grins. 

Is the HDMI cable hi speed or better (standard will only do 1080i not 1080p)

Edit, had a thought so did a quick search to see if there are issues mixing 144hz with 60hz. I didn't read them but apparently there are stutter issues. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=problem+mixing+144hz+monitor+with+60hz&t=h_&ia=web

 

I'd go to notebookreview.com and check the forums there, Asus, owners lounge for specific machine and anything on monitors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27466
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    VCeffects
    Newest Member
    VCeffects
    Joined