Lighthouse

terrain modeling expert

Hi,

I've got a new project that has a very tough site plan to model, steep hill with various retaining walls.  I have the surveryor's CAD drawing with lots of detail.  My goal is to have someone deliver the site model to me before I begin design of the house.  The site has two existing structures whose foundations I will be using, so those level pads should be in the model as well.  I need someone who is waaay better than me to model this because it must be accurate.  I don't plan to alter the site plan at all (since I'm using the existing foundations, so it would probably be ok if the site was modeled in a different program, if that was easier, and imported in CA.  Anyone interested?  Needs to happen within the next 7-10 days at the latest. I've attached the site plan, I will probably take a bunch of photos on the weekend to make it easier to visualize.    thx

Lunenburg-Sunset Lane-Tousignant.dwg

I would recommend doing each building in a separate plan 

then create a 3D symbol of the building and store each in the library

then add each building symbol to the master terrain plan

this method gives total freedom to adjust the terrain or the buildings without affecting the others

while all buildings and the terrain can all be in the same plan

it takes a master chiefer to control them while making changes to any of them

Lew

50 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

then add each building symbol to the master terrain plan

this method gives total freedom to adjust the terrain or the buildings without affecting the others

while all buildings and the terrain can all be in the same plan

it takes a master chiefer to control them while making changes to any of them

Lew

Thanks Lew, that's an interesting method.  Makes sense, since the terrain doesn't know what floor level to relate to.  I've never made a whole house into a symbol, but I will test that out.  I just wonder if CA is the best program to model terrain in.  It seems to want to do it's own thing a lot, ideally it would just do what you told it to.  But I'm sure I'm using it wrong.  For simple stuff I can get it to work, but on complicated plans there is always something that goes haywire and I waste lots of time trying to figure it out.  This isn't something I could hire you to do, is it?

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Thanks Lew, that's an interesting method.  Makes sense, since the terrain doesn't know what floor level to relate to.  I've never made a whole house into a symbol, but I will test that out.  I just wonder if CA is the best program to model terrain in.  It seems to want to do it's own thing a lot, ideally it would just do what you told it to.  But I'm sure I'm using it wrong.  For simple stuff I can get it to work, but on complicated plans there is always something that goes haywire and I waste lots of time trying to figure it out.  This isn't something I could hire you to do, is it?

Ill take a look tomrrow and let you know . CHeers

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

Lew

That is the method I use.   

Here is one where I combined GIS data, an actual site survey, and then house placement.

11 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

That is the method I use.   

Here is one where I combined GIS data, an actual site survey, and then house placement.

David:

sorry, but I am retired and never understood terrain myself

my partner did all out terrain work

he is semi-retired and is only doing 3D renders and rays these days

Lew

19 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Hi,

I've got a new project that has a very tough site plan to model, steep hill with various retaining walls.  I have the surveryor's CAD drawing with lots of detail.  My goal is to have someone deliver the site model to me before I begin design of the house.  The site has two existing structures whose foundations I will be using, so those level pads should be in the model as well.  I need someone who is waaay better than me to model this because it must be accurate.  I don't plan to alter the site plan at all (since I'm using the existing foundations, so it would probably be ok if the site was modeled in a different program, if that was easier, and imported in CA.  Anyone interested?  Needs to happen within the next 7-10 days at the latest. I've attached the site plan, I will probably take a bunch of photos on the weekend to make it easier to visualize.    thx

Lunenburg-Sunset Lane-Tousignant.dwg

This is your terrain model imported..the data provided is fine for some parts but otherwise not very useful, typical for flat data. This is a decent amount of work with not a very big timeline. Not sure I could get it done in that time with other jobs ongoing. Maybe you can change the timeline or find someone with no ongoing work.
image.thumb.png.7b5b8457f7edce14bb500d6153fd70a4.png