Suppress Wall Widths

mkennedy2000

If you set up your dimension defaults to locate the main wall layer you will not get both sides, and a wall thickness dim. That what I get. After you already have a dimension , you can select all dims, and select "suppress wall widths.". Just set your defaults correctly and you won't get then at all. There are many defaults to set, do them all.

Lew - let me try again....

Perry - I don't quite see the path - in dimension defaults I can locate surfaces (which I do) or I can locate the wall dimension layer. My wall types are mostly defined to dimension to framing.

If I set the default to locate the wall dimension layer, I still get wall widths?

Can you send me your wall type settings to compare to mine?

post-372-0-56417900-1415682549_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-60199200-1415682760_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-60369400-1415682863_thumb.jpg

Scott, the question is whether I can default to suppress wall widths - I almost never want them, I graphically illustrate wall thicknesses and that's all I need, the wall widths clutter up my dimension string and I generally manually select each and every dimension string and suppress them.

Perry, that only selects one side of the interior wall(s). I like to show the interior (clear) room dimension - I do a lot af asbuilts and that's the fastest, most accurate way I know to get from paper to CA.

I suppose what I may do is use my current setting to develop my as built plan, then reste to one side for degn developpment, then think about going back again for con cods - or something. I would have been fine with a default to suppress wall widths :)

Scott, the question is whether I can default to suppress wall widths - I almost never want them, I graphically illustrate wall thicknesses and that's all I need, the wall widths clutter up my dimension string and I generally manually select each and every dimension string and suppress them.

Perry, that only selects one side of the interior wall(s). I like to show the interior (clear) room dimension - I do a lot af asbuilts and that's the fastest, most accurate way I know to get from paper to CA.

I suppose what I may do is use my current setting to develop my as built plan, then reste to one side for degn developpment, then think about going back again for con cods - or something. I would have been fine with a default to suppress wall widths :)

It really ticks me off when someone replies to my suggestion and they are not clear why my suggestion does not work.  I feel you are ignoring my suggestion.   I will try again.  Attached is a plan where I ran 3 sets of dimensions where I used MANUAL DIMENSIONS and it picked up both sides of walls,  either the finish layer or stud layer,  whatever I wanted.  I then went in and selected the bottom two strings,  used Perry's suggestion of opening up the dimension string and checking the SUPRESS WALL WIDTHS.

I do not understand why this is not a good solution.  If you do not want to even select the dimension string and check the SUPRESS WALL WIDTHS,  I get it.  If that is the case,  I wish you would of explained why the solution I suggested did not work  (Perry suggestion if truth be told).

EDIT:  Rereading your post,  maybe that is your problem,  you do not even HAVE TO SELECT THE STRING TO SUPRESS DIMENSIONS,  if this is the case I apologize.  I suppose it would of been clearer to me if you had stated that my suggestion worked,  but you did not want to have to select the dimension.

You know sometimes it is so hard to communicate what the true issues are,  and I get this.  We must all learn to be as clear as possible as what the issue truly is.

I have learned over time to question what the  true issue is.  Client comes in with picture of a two story house made of stucco on a lot with red roses in the front yard.  They tell me,  "I really like this picture,  this is the way I want my house to look",  I ask them,  "what do you like about it?",  they reply,  "the red roses".........  it is so important to be clear.

post-50-0-30250800-1415726353_thumb.jpg

I also do a lot of as-builts and I just run a string of manual interior dims that locate each side of the wall. For me they are only temp. After the walls are where I want them ,I then delete the interior dims. I really don't want complete interior dims on my plan b/c they are never perfect and since they are already there, in my eyes, no dim. needed. Exterior dimensions are good enough especially when lining up new walls to existing walls.

Well,  ain't this a pistal,  if the original poster wanted a string of dimensions without  the wall thickness dimensioned,  he can use the INTERIOR DIMENSION TOOL.  This tool will give dimensions in rooms either between room finishes or  between studs sans the wall thickness included.

Another little nugget.

I also do a lot of as-builts and I just run a string of manual interior dims that locate each side of the wall. For me they are only temp. After the walls are where I want them ,I then delete the interior dims. I really don't want complete interior dims on my plan b/c they are never perfect and since they are already there, in my eyes, no dim. needed. Exterior dimensions are good enough especially when lining up new walls to existing walls.

Maybe this is what Perry was saying and I just did not realize it.  

Scott, sorry, I always appreciate your suggestions and help, I just didnt see one here

What I want is fairly simple - a default suppress wall widths option for Auto exterior dimension

I tried various setting, locate main layer and so on, but none really do what I want.

I can either spend a bunch of keystrokes manually suppressing every dimensions strings wall width every time or I can spend a bunch of keystrokes manually drawing interior dimension strings. 

I'll tinker with some settings to see if I can get something I can use automatically. The autto exterior seems to produce the least extraneous stuff and the number of keystrokes required to manually duplicate the auto exterior seems to be greater then the number of kesytrokes to modify it. 

The auto interior seems to produce an incredible visual clutter, so I just don't use it. I'll explore this further, but....  Right now my sense is that I'm pretty efficient  - I auto exterior dim, then manually suppress  \(every time, on every string) the wall width display. Which doesn't sound efficinet, and leads me back the the thought that perhaps this is one for the suggestion box?

Do you guys just not use auto dims? Or do you only display one side or center o f walls? Or do you leave the wall widths displaying? Or do you turn them off like I do?

For exterior dimensions I only dimension to one side of the wall or the other. 

FWIW, I've probably framed 60 homes from various plan producers when I was a framing subcontractor and in that time I don't actually recall having ever seen a set of plans with exterior dimensions displayed as you are describing.  Interior dimensions yes, but exterior dimensions no.  I personally think its not the greatest idea.  I believe exterior dimensions should always be displayed in a very clear string that can easily be added up (i.e. no missing wall thicknesses to account for).

AS, in that context I'd agree, you're experience agrees with mine.

In my current incarnation as a kitchen and bath guy, also doing additions, my needs are a little different.

I frequently care more about interior dimensions that framing layouts and I pull different dimensions on floor, cabinet and electrical plans than I do on framing and foundation plans.

All that being said, thanks for the succinct answer to my question - definitely food for thought. 

Maybe I'll use auto interior for laying out the as built, but use auto exterior for con docs? Locating walls one side. Then I have to go and add interior dims at baths, halls, kitchens, other critical clear space areas,

At the end of the day, I keep circling back to a feature request - the option to have a default setting to suppress wall widths on the aut exterior dim tool - so far I'll call you a vote against.

AS, in that context I'd agree, you're experience agrees with mine.

In my current incarnation as a kitchen and bath guy, also doing additions, my needs are a little different.

I frequently care more about interior dimensions that framing layouts and I pull different dimensions on floor, cabinet and electrical plans than I do on framing and foundation plans.

All that being said, thanks for the succinct answer to my question - definitely food for thought. 

Maybe I'll use auto interior for laying out the as built, but use auto exterior for con docs? Locating walls one side. Then I have to go and add interior dims at baths, halls, kitchens, other critical clear space areas,

At the end of the day, I keep circling back to a feature request - the option to have a default setting to suppress wall widths on the aut exterior dim tool - so far I'll call you a vote against.

No no no.  I would vote FOR the option.  Just wouldn't advocate using it in most circumstances.

Scott - it's still Matt (not Mike), you better be careful, you may turn into a curmudgeon, going around calling people random names LOL

I leraned some things also, always room for new\different and hopefully better ways to get to a result - CA does have a lot of options....

So AS is a vote for, anyone else?