Deirdre_OBrien

Resize Cabinet Door

How do you resize a cabinet door, while maintaining cabinet structure? For example, I'd like a 17" door in a 39" cabinet. 

2 minutes ago, Deirdre_OBrien said:

I'd like a 17" door in a 39" cabinet. 

17" tall, wide? 39" tall, wide?

Thank you - I should have been more clear. And I'm just using rough numbers here - I need a smaller cabinet door (width) than the base cabinet is automatically giving me. I have a corner base cabinet that is roughly 39" inches wide and I'd like to place a smaller sized (width) cabinet door on it (say roughly 17"). I don't have the exact dimensions yet. 

Are you trying to make a blind corner cabinet? Little more info, screen shot, what have you tried?

A diagonal-front corner base cabinet at 39 x 39 size (where do you get a lazy susan that large?) will have a door width in the range of 19.5 inches, depending on reveal, frameless or no, etc.

Why would you want a narrower door?

2 potential solutions...

Let Chief handle it automatically...

1706201818_Option1.thumb.png.20b25cff53c01b4575262124a1b639d4.png

...or, what I usually do, just customize the cabinet face...

1306203111_Option2.thumb.png.abc386de3f349faccf7a6456fcec7936.png

• Upvote 2

Thank you - that did the trick. I split the cabinet front to two doors and made the one door blank. This allows me to play with the remaining door and make it whatever size I want. I am building a blind cabinet in a location that faces the side of the range. I need the door of this cabinet to swing out without making an awkward connection with the range door and door handle. I'm also putting a rev-a-shelf type item in the cabinet (not a lazy susan). 

image.thumb.png.476234114ef91d8a1ef4c114ba6d7734.png

21 hours ago, Deirdre_OBrien said:

Thank you - that did the trick. I split the cabinet front to two doors and made the one door blank. This allows me to play with the remaining door and make it whatever size I want. I am building a blind cabinet in a location that faces the side of the range. I need the door of this cabinet to swing out without making an awkward connection with the range door and door handle. I'm also putting a rev-a-shelf type item in the cabinet (not a lazy susan). 

image.thumb.png.476234114ef91d8a1ef4c114ba6d7734.png

If I understand what you are trying to do here it looks like a true corner cabinet without a diagonal door.  Place a corner cabinet size it to the 39" you want each direction and at the bottom of the first page of the cabinet dbx you will see diagonal door (make sure that is unchecked to make it squared off like you show above.)  It will show as two doors but generally these type of doors with the hinges in the corner and on one side will look like two doors close to each other.  You can mess around with blanks and separations to get it sized how you want for the door.

Here is where this is going.  Blind as the OP has shown us, and inside, voila!  is this.

https://rev-a-shelf.com/2553?

I have done a lot of kitchens and occasionally suggested these, but never had anyone go for it once they saw the cost.

Yep - we saw the cost. Choked a bit and decided it was the only option for a space-constrained kitchen. 

Thank you

Deirdre

We've got a 34x34 corner with pie-hinged doors, a 32" susan inside, and it sure holds a lot of pots and pans.

Thank you, yes this is true, but if we install a lazy susan, we lose the drawers immediately next to the Susan. If we install a Rev-a-Shelf, we get the extra corner space with the much-needed drawers.