Question About Archived Files

HumbleChief

My computer decided to crash and I went to open an archived file and it's corrupted (first time I've seen that in CA) so I lost an hour's work but I have a question about archives.

I have my preferences set to auto-save every 2 minutes and I'm wondering where those files go? And why do I have only 1 archived file if the file is being saved every 2 minutes? Does the program only save 1 archived file each day? Even though file are auto-saved every 2 minutes? Is there a setting to increase the number of auto saved files saved each day?

I'm biting the bullet n this one but would like to know if there's a setting I can use that will increase my chances of retrieving unsaved work.

And of course the great advice of hitting cntrl 'S' which I'll include to save someone else the typing.

Auto-Save and Archive are two separate things. Auto-save saves to a single file, which is written over with each auto-save - in your case, every two minutes. Archived files are created every time you manually save the file - a duplicate copy of the file is saved in the archive folder according to the Auto Archive Files preference.

Auto-saved and archived files reside in the My Data Folder specified in Preferences>General>Folders.

For instance, these are my settings:

post-95-0-02063300-1415125803_thumb.png

These settings create an auto-save file every five minutes. It's a single file that is over-written every 5 minutes. My Auto Archive Files preference is set to Previous State, so my auto archiving also only saves a single file which is over-written every time I manually save the file. If I select Daily or Hourly, then lots of auto archived files are saved, up to a maximum of 50 (Auto Archive Warning), when CA will warn me that I have 50 archived files.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Robert,

Great explanation, one I never hope to read again (meaning no crashes no worries). My computer was blue screening and corrupting files so even the archives were no good. Pretty sure it's the new SSD I installed and was able to retrieve most files from the SSD but Carbonite saved my a$$. It had a fairly recent file that I was able to retrieve but it cost all day to get the Lyout back in order. Iunhooked the SSD and have been runnig blue screen free for an hour or so - hopefully that was the problem.

Again, thanks for taking your time to explain.

Thanks P. I think I have problem with my new SSD. Not happy, but I've been running without it for a couple hours with no problems. I can boot to my other windows drive (the one I cloned to my SSD) and get to files on the SSD but if I play too long with the SSD hooked up I get the dreaded BSOD (blue screen of death) again.

Can't boot to the SSD anymore - I just get a black screen now, after it started to hang at the 'starting windows' welcome screen. Not sure what to do. I'll try and get my newer files off the SSD, get them backed up here and to Carbonite then see if the SSD is truly toast, or just browned enough to give me intermittent problems.

Nothing like a computer that goes unstable. I forgot how dramatic that can be - a little sick feeling in the pit of the stomach. Not fun..

• 1 year later...

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.  If I turn off Auto-Save, then I won't get any backup files, right?

What I'm looking to have happen is this:

Say I'm working on NewHouse.plan

Chief will create a backup file called "NewHouse_auto_save.plan" and save over that every 5 minutes.

I would like it to essentially do the following:

at 8:00 AM it creates NewHouse_auto_save1.plan

at 8:05 AM it creates NewHouse_auto_save2.plan

at 8:10 AM it creates NewHouse_auto_save3.plan

at 8:15 AM it creates NewHouse_auto_save4.plan

at 8:20 AM it creates NewHouse_auto_save5.plan

at 8:25 AM it creates NewHouse_auto_save6.plan

et cetera, et cetera

I last worked in VectorWorks, and it would do that by creating files that were "FIlename.Date/Time.backup" and in your preferences you could set the maximum number of files for it to save.  When it reached that number of backups, it would delete the oldest file every time it created a newer file.

So I'm hoping to get similar functionality out of Chief in some way.

For now do your own "save as"

I add date and time to the file name and do this as often as every few minutes

when in a work session

I immediately do another "save as" with just the normal plan and layout names

so they stay linked

I don't use or rely on Chief's archive system

as a former programmer I prefer to be in control

Lew