Sill Gap On Foundation To Underside Of Deck

BFogarty

Go to solution Solved by rlackore,

Searched and found a few sill gap questions, but nothing that seems to pretain to my issue.  I swear this is just something that happens every once and a while, and for whatever reason I'm a goon and can't solve it.

Attached is a plan, please take a full perspective overview and note the gap on top of the foundation.  This particular house has a double sill plate, please tell me how do I get the exterior wall covering to go to the top of the foundation.

Thanks in advance!

post-472-0-65546600-1413831744_thumb.jpg

8 Crestview Drive As-Built 10-20-14.plan

Now here is one for you Robert....  and this behavior  ticks me off.....   once it is building correctly,  grab a foundation wall and drag it down 24".  Now drag it back up 24".......  not the wall height is no longer listed as a DEFAULT WALL HT in the WALL SPEC<STRUCTURE<DEFAULT WALL HEIGHT,..  however we both know you put it back in it's original height location....  however,  know the sill plate is no longer there and the SIDING/EXTERIOR FINISH does not cover what was once the sill plate.

A bit aggravating.....  so why even adjust this height?  If you want to define the  wall as a TERRAIN RETAINING WALL and you do not want the top of wall to FOLLOW THE TOP OF GRADE.  What is the solution?  Do not adjust wall height,  do not call it a TERRAIN RETAINING WALL,  instead use a TERRAIN BREAK to define the break in terrain.......  

• Upvote 1

the sill plate is no longer there and the SIDING/EXTERIOR FINISH does not cover what was once the sill plate.

I don't have that problem. I can drag it up an down, and it rebuilds the sill plate and exterior finish just fine. Yes, the Default Wall Height is not restored, though. Does the check box matter? Does CA treat the wall differently, even though there is essentially no other difference?

I don't have that problem. I can drag it up an down, and it rebuilds the sill plate and exterior finish just fine. .........

Whoa Buddy,  are you sure?  I just tried it on the 8 CRESTVIEW DRIVE PLAN that was posted and I lost the sill plate.

Robert,  do me a favor and change the heights as I described and post the plan,  I would love to see it.  My sill plate and exterior finish DOES NOT build correctly,  

I have attached my  plan where it does not rebuild,  check it out and let me know,  thanks.

Post-operative plan is attached.

Crestview Wall Drag Test.plan

Here is proof I dragged the wall down:

post-95-0-83850900-1413839985_thumb.png

...and proof that I dragged it back up:

post-95-0-78943600-1413840009_thumb.png

...and here is an ortho view after dragging back up:

post-95-0-98138100-1413840042_thumb.png

Stupid question maybe, but did you build the framing in the first place - before noticing that the sill wasn't there?

Scott,

By age 50 you'd think I could read a post. You're right, the sill plate disappears until the Default Wall Height box is rechecked, so I answered my own question about whether that box makes a difference. However, I don't lose the exterior finish; a separate issue maybe?

Leaving the wall at default top/bot allows the wall to be rebuilt to the new hgts if/when the room def changes. & there are other situations that I've gotten myself into where I need to keep the wall as/is but change the room def. To keep Chief from changing the hgts, I often do exactly what you have described, drag the wall up/down, then drag it back exactly where it was. It would be nice if we could just deselect Default Wall Hgts in the Structure tab instead of having to drag the wall.........

Leaving the wall at default top/bot allows the wall to be rebuilt to the new hgts if/when the room def changes. & there are other situations that I've gotten myself into where I need to keep the wall as/is but change the room def. To keep Chief from changing the hgts, I often do exactly what you have described, drag the wall up/down, then drag it back exactly where it was. It would be nice if we could just deselect Default Wall Hgts in the Structure tab instead of having to drag the wall.........

That's interesting. So, it's a work-around to "lock" the wall height. I agree that an ability to select/deselect the check box would be helpful, or maybe something more obvious, like check boxes for "lock top height", "lock bottom height", "lock length", etc.

check boxes for "lock top height", "lock bottom height", "lock length", etc.

It would be nice if we could enter absolute or room specific hgts directly as well as the "lock top/bot" in the dbx. Sometimes that would be easier than dealing w/ the room cl'g hgt as plate hgt.

We can lock the length of any wall or change the length from start/end/center in the Wall/General tab. 

We can lock the length of any wall or change the length from start/end/center in the Wall/General tab. 

That's not really true, is it? When a wall start or end is located at/near a wall intersection, you can't adjust the length absolutely - CA will adjust the length to create the intersection.

May be aware of this already, but for those that aren't:

When you need a wall to extend beyond an intersecting wall & Chief won't allow it, lengthen the wall well beyond what you want, draw a room divider wall off the end of the wall & then use dimensions to locate the wall precisely beyond the end of intersecting wall.