builtright3

Site Plan Dimensions

Recommended Posts

I typically just put in text for the dimension numbers around the perimeter of the house because I think it's a cleaner look without the dimension lines but it takes a little extra time to do it like that.
Is there a way to do dimensions and then not show the dimension lines? I never really thought to ask the question because Im sure the answer is no but what the heck, im asking anyway.

Capture.thumb.PNG.d5a9bedc66277bc641ad4b777fd7b386.PNG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I typically just put in text for the dimension numbers around the perimeter of the house because I think it's a cleaner look without the dimension lines but it takes a little extra time to do it like that.
Is there a way to do dimensions and then not show the dimension lines? I never really thought to ask the question because Im sure the answer is no but what the heck, im asking anyway.

Capture.thumb.PNG.d5a9bedc66277bc641ad4b777fd7b386.PNG 

Select your terrain poly line and click show length and angle.  All sides will show up.  The downside is all have to be in the same location so for example above the line preference is set on the upper line the dimension shows above the polyline on the outside of it,  the lower shows inside the polyline and the same on the sides one outside one inside.  Most of the times not an issue but I had one recently I had to manually place text that showed the line.

 

I have not done this personally but another option is to do a leader text line with the macros for show length and show angle if you needed to place it remotely.  Then you can “hide” the arrow and line if you want by changing line style and arrow color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wall Labels with or without a macro would work fine for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Select your terrain poly line and click show length and angle.  All sides will show up.  The downside is all have to be in the same location so for example above the line preference is set on the upper line the dimension shows above the polyline on the outside of it,  the lower shows inside the polyline and the same on the sides one outside one inside.  Most of the times not an issue but I had one recently I had to manually place text that showed the line.

 

I have not done this personally but another option is to do a leader text line with the macros for show length and show angle if you needed to place it remotely.  Then you can “hide” the arrow and line if you want by changing line style and arrow color.

Thank You!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Wall Labels with or without a macro would work fine for that.

So it shows up here with using a Macro but it still shows up as the default label in the plan. What am I doing wrong? Any idea?
Also, I would need it to show up as feet and inches.

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are your wall labels turned on ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Are your wall labels turned on ?

Yes, but the custom macro I put in doesn't show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its interesting that we can turn off the dimension number but cant turn off the dimension lines and not the number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, builtright3 said:

Yes, but the custom macro I put in doesn't show up.

 

In Plan View.    Walls, Labels  layer    that is really odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

 

In Plan View.    Walls, Labels  layer    that is really odd.

 

It seems in X12 the label doesn't show like it does in X11 unless you take it off automatic ie use Specify.....

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Its interesting that we can turn off the dimension number but cant turn off the dimension lines and not the number.

 

So are we talking about X11 or X12 because your screen shot shows the label set to "Specify"

 

Maybe post your plan file or a test plan showing the same behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Its interesting that we can turn off the dimension number but cant turn off the dimension lines and not the number.

Not at my computer.  Can you change your line style to the blank line and your arrow to background color?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Can you change your line style to the blank line and your arrow to background color?

 

Yes that is also a possibility.  There is also an arrow style without a tip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guy's!

I think I will stay with what I'm doing for now until Chief comes out with a better dimension editing dialog box. Too much work to save a minute or two. Probably not much demand for it. I appreciate the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Wall Labels with or without a macro would work fine for that.

 

Chopsaw's idea works pretty well actually and is automatic if setup in the Plan Defaults  ( setup in New Plan Template too ) , the dimension is there from the moment you draw the wall.

 

As you can see it even works for interior Walls.....

 

image.thumb.png.53a33c78b90bbbbdc5fc4ffd5bb6be33.pngimage.thumb.png.796c3c0b6dd205b4f7c18dad90893c8b.png  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, builtright3 said:
4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Are your wall labels turned on ?

Yes, but the custom macro I put in doesn't show up.

 

It is possible that you did a really good job of placing your manual text and the wall labels are directly underneath.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 1:26 PM, Kbird1 said:

 

Chopsaw's idea works pretty well actually and is automatic if setup in the Plan Defaults  ( setup in New Plan Template too ) , the dimension is there from the moment you draw the wall.

 

As you can see it even works for interior Walls.....

 

image.thumb.png.53a33c78b90bbbbdc5fc4ffd5bb6be33.pngimage.thumb.png.796c3c0b6dd205b4f7c18dad90893c8b.png  

Thank you very much! This is very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, Chopsaw said:

 

It is possible that you did a really good job of placing your manual text and the wall labels are directly underneath.

Thank you! Working good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27645
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    ChiefUserTyMN
    Newest Member
    ChiefUserTyMN
    Joined