Importing DWG detail files

Treehouse2339

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Does everyone else get this dbx?

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 10.33.31 am.png

Yes but that is not what is happening , the Dialog box say it goes into it's own Detail which is incorrect, but maybe that is because I was already importing into a CAD Detail anyway? They import per the KB article and as Michael said as CAD Blocks only....

image.thumb.png.6c4599913b476182cdeb4070b44c64ae.png

M.

It's funny, I've read the opening dialog of that Import Drawing Assistant and I've considered sending in a request that it be scrapped.  It really seems like it serves very little use.  Admittedly however, I'm not so sure I've ever read the closing dialog until Glenn just posted it.  I wonder if its because I've just become jaded by the opening dialog and its lack of substance?  Or maybe it's because of all the same "Your blah blah blah has finished installing" dialogs that we're used to simply clicking "Okay" or "Done" on these days.  Who knows. 

I am however convinced that almost NOBODY reads that screen though as evidence that until I mentioned it today, I have never once heard or read anyone anywhere in the 9 years I've spent on this forum mention that we can import anything from paper space.  On the contrary, I've heard and read the opposite mentioned many many times. Wonder how long that little note has been in there? 

17 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The reason I say to check your CAD Blocks is that the items you're "missing" were imported as a sort of disconnected CAD Block.  It looks like those text notes were added in paper space (essentially AutoCAD's version of Layout) and as such they're not actually part of the drawing itself.  You can however resize and reposition but you'll have some cleanup to do with the way text was formatted during the import.   

Sorry I missed this Michael. Re-reading this morning I see what you were talking about.

The paper space block was imported into Chief & not inserted with the model space objects. This file has the paper space block as 1/36 scale so you always have to scale it up.

I always had the "Purge Unused Blocks" checked.

Thanks for the education, Michael.

12 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I have never once heard or read anyone anywhere in the 9 years I've spent on this forum mention that we can import anything from paper space.  On the contrary, I've heard and read the opposite mentioned many many times. Wonder how long that little note has been in there? 

I guess I've missed it as long as you have :) as my thoughts are the same , I always thought we could import from one but not the other ...... ( obviously mixed that up yesterday though ) and like Alan I usually only import "referenced blocks" as usually there is enough "clutter" in most DWGs I import already. 

Page 1194 of the Ref Manual has a little more info on the importable entities too.... ( as well as being the only mention of Paper-Space in the manual apparently)