Cmiller

Estimating

47 minutes ago, Cmiller said:

Has anyone used Chief for estimating? How accurate is the takeoff?

it depends ENTIRELY on how accurate your model is and whether you configure all the various settings appropriately or not so that the material list can properly report what you want it to and how you want it to.  Quick example...

Forget to actually frame the floor system and your floor framing portion of the estimate will be completely wrong.  Or, frame and model everything perfectly and set your walls not to report to the material list and your wall framing portion of the estimate will be totally wrong.  

All modeling and settings done correctly and appropriately, I’ve found Chief to be quite accurate.  There are a few areas where their calculation methods are a little debatable, but all within an acceptable margin of error as far as I’m concerned.  

• Like 1

Thanks, it look to me like it will take a lot of time to set it up and could be prone to errors. Is there a way to upload vendors, pricing etc from excel as well as calculation formulas? Does Chief provide any sort of instructional that would walk one through the setup process? 

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Cmiller said:
  1. it look to me like it will take a lot of time to set it up
  2. and could be prone to errors.
  3. Is there a way to upload vendors pricing etc from excel
  4. as well as calculation formulas
  5. Does Chief provide any sort of instructional that would walk one through the setup process? 

Thanks again

I think you'll find the Answers are

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. No     (copy and paste only)
  4. No     (copy and paste only)
  5. No... not a step by step but there are a few short Tutorials and Videos though

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/category/59/materials-list.html

or

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/104/24-materials-lists.html

Be aware too that the ML is not dynamic , it does NOT update as you build the Model and is basically a snapshot in time.

*Several Members do Cost Estimating like Basketball Man , see the Offering Forum , I think he also teaches how to do it...

M.

• Upvote 1

another consideration is use software like Planswift

and coordinate with Chief 

Lew

Thanks for the help guys, I will check out the videos and try to find this Basketball Man

Clint