ACADuser

Wall Bridging for LGF Steel Walls (Light Guauge Framing)

Recommended Posts

First, where is the default for the material of the Wall Bridging Material?

What material do I use to get steel-like material?

 

Is it possible to create Steel wall blocking? Or just 'C' Channel Blocking?

 

CA Wall Bridge.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

First, where is the default for the material of the Wall Bridging Material?

Framing Defaults>Materials

 

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

What material do I use to get steel-like material?

Steel, Steel Stud 16" OC, etc.  That's really subjective. 

 

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Is it possible to create Steel wall blocking? Or just 'C' Channel Blocking?

Yes.  Just set the Bridging material type to U-Channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really like to be able to edit the wall bridging material also.  The default is 38mm lumber and in New Zealand the minimum is 45mm lumber, so every wall frame requires manual editing.  The facility to specify the number of rows of blocking and the spacing would be great also.  Our Building Code requires bridging at 800mm CRS so every frame has a minimum of two rows.

It is really a Chief Architect software development issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, fellas.

That's exactly it Rob.

 

Michael,

Just to be clear, Defaults>Framing>materials

It says roof? See attached.

 

CA Mat.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 8:59 AM, robdyck said:

I think it is.

image.thumb.png.e2faddeaf2f98d6dd84a905d86e819e2.png

 

didn't you accuse me of making posts like this last week ? :P :)

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 9:46 AM, RickyP said:

I would really like to be able to edit the wall bridging material also.  The default is 38mm lumber and in New Zealand the minimum is 45mm lumber, so every wall frame requires manual editing.  The facility to specify the number of rows of blocking and the spacing would be great also.  Our Building Code requires bridging at 800mm CRS so every frame has a minimum of two rows.

It is really a Chief Architect software development issue.

 

I do agree as it happens but I'd suggest you join the Beta Program and make a Feature Request .....

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, ACADuser said:

Thanks, fellas.

That's exactly it Rob.

 

Michael,

Just to be clear, Defaults>Framing>materials

It says roof? See attached.

 

 

 

Not sure why that always says Roof but that is the one..... then it doesn't matter if you change the Bridging Default "Type" , in fact if I change it to U-Channel the Bridging disappears from a 3D view....whether I use the Steel 16 OC stud or a Metal Framing material of my own, still there in the Wall Detail though..

 

image.thumb.png.5ee13b8383652922e4b76bb194b3c338.pngimage.thumb.png.482b86ba3c8f177bdbe046f7f7b05cb7.png image.thumb.png.af74f9a46c5fae0c51fdcff559a80a09.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I changed my material but the default bridging SIZE illudes me. I used "Steel-Box" instead of U or C channel.

I can change it in the 3D view by selecting it, but where is the default setting for bridging size?

 

CA Blocking.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

OK, I changed my material but the default bridging SIZE illudes me. I used "Steel-Box" instead of U or C channel.

I can change it in the 3D view by selecting it, but where is the default setting for bridging size?

 

CA Blocking.JPG

 

There isn't one until the Wall Bridging is built AFAIK , you have to open the DBX for it on each wall and change it ......

 

RickyP (above) has started a Suggestion for that and being able to setup more than one row and their spacings ...so add you vote too please....

 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/24497-more-wall-bridging-editing-defaults/

 

M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this were my plan, I wouldn't use the bridging tool. I don't trust it to stay in place. I've had too many issues of bridging behaving twitchy and messing up a completed wall framing detail. I use the General Framing instead. Chief leaves that one alone so I get to be in control of how it behaves. You can still place it on the bridging layer, adjust it's type, material, etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

 

There isn't one until the Wall Bridging is built AFAIK , you have to open the DBX for it on each wall and change it ......

 

RickyP (above) has started a Suggestion for that and being able to setup more than one row and their spacings ...so add you vote too please....

 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/24497-more-wall-bridging-editing-defaults/

 

M.

Shouldn't you be able to select all the bridging in plan view (on a single floor) and adjust the size for all the bridging at the same time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 10:57 AM, Kbird1 said:

 

didn't you accuse me of making posts like this last week ? :P :)

 

M.

I know, I know! My phone rang and I never got back to this. I was going to add a few screenshots with some of the settings. Luckily several others have added their expertise to this topic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Shouldn't you be able to select all the bridging in plan view (on a single floor) and adjust the size for all the bridging at the same time?

 

Yes , shouldn't be an Issue actually , I usually just do it as I check the Wall Detail(s) though. 

 

Your Idea of using General Framing maybe better though as there seems to be some quirks for sure , your idea actually makes me wonder if

a Room Molding Poly Line with the U-Channel might work even better ? ( more automated )

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kbird1 said:

 

Yes , shouldn't be an Issue actually , I usually just do it as I check the Wall Detail(s) though. 

 

Your Idea of using General Framing maybe better though as there seems to be some quirks for sure , your idea actually makes me wonder if

a Room Molding Poly Line with the U-Channel might work even better ? ( more automated )

 

M.

That'd certainly be a faster way to get it to show up in 3D views, it just wouldn't be in a wall detail. Depends on the type of drawings being provided I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

That'd certainly be a faster way to get it to show up in 3D views, it just wouldn't be in a wall detail. Depends on the type of drawings being provided I guess.

 

That's true , it wouldn't be seen as "framing" in a schedule etc ......I haven't tried it, was just a thought as I typed, so not sure if the Layer can be turned on in a Wall Detail or not?

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also am getting some unpredictable behavior when changing the wall bridging.

Auto built bridging:

image.thumb.png.dd3337c87bf5dc104c8112737b060600.png

edited wall briding to u channel:

image.thumb.png.9f498f448941afbc5eb0fa217e6ae1ac.pngimage.thumb.png.1d3dcc1807f23aea851ca2d85cb6836a.pngimage.thumb.png.3f169f899e53864f708a3f08c16963bb.png

Every wall deatil shows continuous bridging, but in 3D it only displays in one stud space. That's odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens to the framing if you need to move the wall? Will General Framing move with it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The U-channel is also upside down and that can't be changed with the bridging tool AFAIK.

image.thumb.png.c3250de26417c7f9cf0d86ec7bf5290e.png

 

Instead, I used a gen framing and it is oriented correctly. But it doesn't show up in plan view and it must be drawn in every wall detail. Copy-paste doesn't work for this.

image.thumb.png.cdba74a2228f5b5c8f82ffcfc0d9ac70.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

What happens to the framing if you need to move the wall? Will General Framing move with it?

 

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robdyck said:

I also am getting some unpredictable behavior when changing the wall bridging.

Auto built bridging:

 

edited wall briding to u channel:

image.thumb.png.3f169f899e53864f708a3f08c16963bb.png

Every wall deatil shows continuous bridging, but in 3D it only displays in one stud space. That's odd.

 

Yep , not good , same thing exactly was happening to me , leave it set to lumber and all is well in 3D though , steel box also works but there is no difference really.

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me the simplest would be a molding p-line for 3d views and a CAD box for wall details or a gen framing member for each wall detail where it matters.

Which leads to the real question...what type of drawings and how many need to show the wall bridging? @ACADuser Alan, would you be able to shed a bit more light onto your project details: where and why you need to show it? Perhaps you could share a few screenshots of the project drawings where the bridging needs to be displayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rod,

Thanks for the interest.

The current project only needs a small area detailed as the main building is within the "Metal Building" and the shell is by others.

I have been receiving more requests for wall detail for the next project. 16000 sq ft with CMU exterior walls & metal frame interior walls.

The current project may require more interior walls detailed but for now, I'm not providing them.

 

The Entry at the side of the building is all LGF framing so they want the details for the structural envelope.

 

CA 1.JPG

CA 2.JPG

CA 3.JPG

CA 4.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact, I'm having to detail these walls which are not walls in Chief, but are P-solids.

I wish they could be walls so I could auto frame them.

CA 5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

In fact, I'm having to detail these walls which are not walls in Chief, but are P-solids.

I wish they could be walls so I could auto frame them.

CA 5.png

 

I guess I need to ask why they aren't walls ....it isn't obvious at least to me....

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27499
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    Bren0625
    Newest Member
    Bren0625
    Joined