drop ceiling offsets

winterdd

Rob, with most commercial ceilings, the ACT mechanic will find the center of the room each way (assuming the layout as a square or rectangle), then layout so they have equal borders at the wall angle. Here where I build, if a border is 3" or less they will use a 4' tile and cut it to the over sized border (most architects / owners don' like those little slivers of tile at the walls). So, that is how I usually model a lay-in ceiling. I use the room poly-line for the wall molding, convert it to the wall molding in the library, and a polyline to set the centers , converted to a molding poly line using the "T" mold from the library, and work off them using the multi-copy both directions. This may not be what you are asking? 

On 12/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Thanks guys. I watched the video on CA and it was explained well. However the offsets the narrator used doesn't perain to all designs. She never even explained how she got her offsets.

Rob, are you speaking of the border tiles for the perimeter border?   If so, per my post above, this is the way I determine what the off-sets (border tile) are to be.  If I knew how to make a video I would.  I can usually do a room with average layout (other walls projecting in the room like closets etc) in just a few minutes.  If you are using the library material Rectangle Ceiling Tiles with Lights, that will not give you what you want. Thus the reason I do lay-in ceilings as I do. 

3 hours ago, Evolution said:

If you are using the library material Rectangle Ceiling Tiles with Lights, that will not give you what you want.

If you are ???  you can use the material definition Tool to move Material with the Offsets , same as you can on the Floor for Tile etc.

The downside is that you will need a unique copy of the material for each room , so you can use different Offsets.

M.

image.thumb.png.2844f88a539a78834071aeddb6ffe6b8.pngimage.thumb.png.a9f3d100ea533111f09ecdfd24199fff.png 

18 hours ago, Evolution said:

Rob, are you speaking of the border tiles for the perimeter border?   If so, per my post above, this is the way I determine what the off-sets (border tile) are to be.  If I knew how to make a video I would.  I can usually do a room with average layout (other walls projecting in the room like closets etc) in just a few minutes.  If you are using the library material Rectangle Ceiling Tiles with Lights, that will not give you what you want. Thus the reason I do lay-in ceilings as I do. 

Yes, i was speaking of the border. Thanks