Cabinets, Cabinets And More Cabinets.....

dshall

Okay,  I am really into using BASE  CABINETS for more symbols.  Instead of using PSOLIDS for hearths,  shower curbs etc.,  I want to use BASE CABINETS.  

The reason for this is the height of  BASE CABINETS is base on the FLOOR ELEVATION.  This is super......  but........

...  suppose I build a hearth out of of base cabinet and I use the countertop as the hearth cap....  the base cabinet/hearth is 5'x2' and the hearth cap is 2" bigger..........  I put this in plan..........

but   what layer do I put it on?

I want the HEARTH BASE to show as dashed,  ala base cabinets,  and I want the hearth cap to be a solid line,  ala base cabinet counter top.

Do I have to put the hearth on the BASE CABINET LAYER?  Or do I have the option to put this hearth/base cabinet on it's own layer  (FIREPLACE HEARTH LAYER).

It seems if I put the hearth on it's own layer,  I lose the opportunity to show the hearth base as dashed and I lose the opportunity for the hearth cap to be a solid line........  any ideas?

Linestyle by Layer Control. attachicon.gifScott's Hearth.JPG

Thank you Joe.....  I had played around with this several weeks ago and it did work.

Interesting.....  how does the hearth base know it is on one layer......  easy,  we put it on that layer,  but how does the hearth know that the top is on it's own layer and not on the CABINET  COUNTERTOP Layer.  I know it works,  I am just not sure why it works.

Thanks again Joe.....  another one of the CA mysteries.....

Thank you Joe.....  I had played around with this several weeks ago and it did work.

Interesting.....  how does the hearth base know it is on one layer......  easy,  we put it on that layer,  but how does the hearth know that the top is on it's own layer and not on the CABINET  COUNTERTOP Layer.  I know it works,  I am just not sure why it works.

Thanks again Joe.....  another one of the CA mysteries.....

Another way to ask this is .....  say I want the HEARTH TOP on the BASE COUNTERTOP LAYER,  can this be done......  it's kind of weird.....  as I said before....  it works but why?