Object snap

Chiefusermickey

Is there any way to force new objects such as a window, wall, or door to snap to the grid? I have my snap grid/snap unit set to 1". I would like for new items to be placed in the plan on a whole inch and not fractions. As it is I can drop in an object and the dimensions to it will be off the grid and not a whole number. I have to manually move the object to get the dimension to a whole number. I have attached an example of my problem. To many unwanted fractions. 

• 3 years later...

@Chiefusermickey

Same Issues here... Snaps/Grid Snaps are turned on.  When drawing walls, they snap at 1" increments; however, when you're placing items such as windows, they don't snap on a 1" increment which will leave you with a fraction to deal with. Not sure why the placement of items don't snap or have the option to - it's tedious going around the plan 

Well... I just figured it out.

It's not snapping because we have the "nearest" snap on. Which disregards the snap units. Solution is pretty simple.

Two options you can do:

1) When you're drawing and placing, slightly move your cursor away from the wall until the nearest snap icon disappears.

2) Turn the nearest snap off in your osnaps

Let me know if this helps!

Zack

image.thumb.png.780160e4062eee96a0f7749d20bbff75.png

vs (Below - Cursor moved away from the wall, and now there is no red near snap icon - meaning I'm on snap now if I have my snap grid on)

image.thumb.png.1daa888aeb536a63acf1337352b2f977.png

• Like 1

This is an old thread, but: 

17 hours ago, zackmcleod said:

Well... I just figured it out.

It's not snapping because we have the "nearest" snap on. Which disregards the snap units. Solution is pretty simple.

What is the 'nearest snap'?  I'm guessing you mean 'on object' based on the red snap icon you are showing in your screen grab?

Like you mentioned in number 2, I turn 'on object' snaps off when placing doors and windows so that it will follow the grid and I don't have to fuss with it.  I actually keep 'on object' snap off a majority of the time and only turn it on when I need it and dimensions are much cleaner out of the box.

If I remember correctly, in X14, turning the 'on object' snap off didn't fix it...can't remember if they fixed that bug in an X14 patch, or if it didn't get fixed until X15...but the workaround was to turn all snaps off to get it on grid...might help someone...might not, haha.

• Upvote 1