Rotate Plan

Designer1

Does anyone know how to make the changed "rotate plan" angle the default view?  I realized rotating my plan 90 degrees actually worked better.  Once I changed the direction I then went and manually turned the room labels the same direction.  However, from that point on, anytime I make a new room label its still at the old angle.  Is there a way for chief to recognize the new angle of the plan is the correct angle and label accordingly or must I manually adjust everything from this point forward on this plan?

Thanks!

This is AFAIK one of the (bad) side effects of rotating a Plan and from my testing the Room Label ignores the Angle Setting in the Plan defaults and so you have to change them manually, but the Select Similar tools should make it fairly simple to Rotate them all at once.

Use of arrow keys and some other settings used to be effected too but I have not needed to try it in X11 to see if that  is still the case.

M.

Rotate Plan View is not a friendly tool to use - I would not use it.

It only appears to rotate the plan.

What it actually does is rotate the "drawing sheet" - this includes rotating things like the co-ordinate system (zero will be at 12 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock).

If you have rotated the plan 90deg, the up arrow key will move an object to the left - or top of the "drawing sheet" - not up as expected.

You should use Edit Area All Floors and then rotate the drawing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, the rotate plan so far Im not liking it because even the camera view puts the default camera at the old angle as well.  I think the edit all floors tool you mentioned sounds like the best bet.  Thanks so much for the help!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, bradsawler said:

Any Feedback?

My advice is to completely forget about doing anything so utterly foolish. I assume you have never done this to a plan file and so are naive about the matter. I have and my advice is to NOT DO THIS EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES  I have done this and I can assure you "Nothing" good came of it. You can change the orientation of the drawing after it is sent to layout a lot more easily or is it is the orientation on the property then move the property lines and terrain plane and NOT the entire ".plan file" structure in plan view. When you rotate a plan make sure "Angle Snaps" is "ON", otherwise you can lose the entire plan. You should make a "Save As" copy of the existing plan as insurance against anything going wrong due to the rotation. If you do successfully rotate the plan without shooting yourself in the foot by doing so, thereafter all your text and other annotations that exist in planview will remain orientated in the original orientation what a PITA!

Or try it and see for yourself as I did yeats ago (I am probably just a crazy ole man any ways)

DJP

Not sure if this is what you needed but...

Have you tried CAD>Plan Footprint?

Plot Plans and Plan Footprints
Using the CAD Tools and conventional survey information, you can create an accurate plot plan in plan view or a CAD Detail. See Site Plans Tutorial.
A plot plan can be sent to layout and included in working drawings. See Dynamic Views.
A plot plan can also be converted into a terrain perimeter, allowing you to add elevation data and accurately position buildings for 3D modeling of home and lot.
Plan Footprint
Select CAD> Plan Footprint to create a CAD object representing the building footprint in a CAD Detail window. Once the Plan Footprint is created, you can control what information it displays.
To create a Plan Footprint
1. Open the plan view that you want to create a Plan Footprint from.
2. Select CAD> Plan Footprint . The program creates a new CAD Detail with the footprint of the current floor.
• By default, this new CAD Detail uses the Plan Footprint layer set. You can control what displays in the footprint using the Layer Display Options dialog. See Layer Sets.
• You can also control the appearance of a Plan Footprint in its specification dialog. See Plan Footprint Specification Dialog.
To insert a plan footprint in a CAD Detail
1. Open the CAD Detail in which you want to insert a Plan Footprint.
2. Select CAD> Plan Footprint .
3. Select the floor to use from the drop-down list and click OK.

4. The floor plan appears in the CAD Detail window. Select Window> Fill Window  to center the footprint on screen.
5. The footprint can be rotated and moved anywhere in the window.
If the model consists of several buildings, a footprint is created for each. Moving one footprint automatically adjusts all the footprints in order to maintain their relationship.
If you edit a plan using Reverse Plan  or the Edit Area  tools, the plan footprint updates automatically.
Dimension lines can be drawn to locate the edges of a plan footprint polyline. Note that if changes to the plan cause the plan footprint polyline to update, any dimension lines that locate it may be deleted as a result. See Dimensions.
Layer Display Options
When you create a plan footprint by selecting CAD> Plan Footprint  while in plan view, the default layer set for Plan Footprints is used. See Layer Set Defaults.
When a plan footprint is created by selecting CAD> Plan Footprint  while in a CAD Detail, the current layer set is used. See Layer Set Management.
Regardless of the layer set in use, the appearance of objects in a Plan Footprint is controlled in the Layer Display Options dialog. Individual objects are on the same layer as in plan view, while the entire Plan Footprint is on the “CAD, Default” layer. See Layer Display Options Dialog.

Chief Architect X11 
chiefarchitect.com