Duplex Fire Separation Wall (Marriage Wall, Party Wall, Partition Wall)

10eighty

So I'm about ready to take a bath with a toaster!!

So I'm not quite sure where everything went wrong, Everything was going smooth, I copied my plan and reflected it upon the perfect line. Great copy, good dimensions.  But then when I created my fire separation wall all my framing got screwed up.  Ive been fighting with it for hours.  I feel like I am missing something pretty basic.  The problem is the party wall should be continuous and for some reason, all the stupid interior walls keep going through it.  I have toggled just about everything I can think of, broke and remover every interior wall from the party wall, snapped and unsnapped walls :(.  And I have scoured the internet and forums.  Do any of you guys see what I am missing? 

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Framing.jpg

Framing2.jpg

Wall Specification.JPG

Wall Type Definition.JPG

When you flip a plan..ie...edit area or copy/paste in place....anyway. The walls that end up butting into one another will join as one wall. You will most likely need to break those interior walls so that you can adjust the new ends to butt where you want them to.

3 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

When you flip a plan..ie...edit area or copy/paste in place....anyway. The walls that end up butting into one another will join as one wall. You will most likely need to break those interior walls so that you can adjust the new ends to butt where you want them to.

Hey Joey,

I  thought of this too, and I broke the interior walls and tried snapping them into place several times.  It didn't work ;-/  By the way, that was an accidental picture upload, i can't see where to remove it.

image.png

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Check out the walls on the first floor. They seem to work OK. Maybe a problem with the wall definition?

Duplex (eric).zip

I was literally just fighting with the downstairs when you replied.  What did you do? When I do it on my plan, They frame through the party wall.  Did you change anything?  Maybe I messed up my defaults??

Try this.

Go to the Build Framing dbx>Wall panel>Mitre Ends Of Angled Walls.

Uncheck Horizontal Frame Through.

Grab one end of a horizontal wall that is drawing over the party wall and drag it back over the party wall, then drag it back over the party wall to it's original position.

Do that for each horizontal wall.

That should give you a continuous vertical party wall.

I haven't played further, but the wall framing still doesn't generate correctly at the wall junctions - this could be a wall definition problem.

I will have another play when I get time.

After you are done drawing all wall's. Break the exterior wall at the firewall and then extend the fie wall to the frame of the exterior wall. After I di that I will auto frame the walls and then open the firewall and retain framing. I then open the wall framing and extend the studs down the size of the floor system. After that, I use a 3d camera and grab the firewalls on each floor and pull the bottom down the height of the floor system. Also, make sure you have the second-floor ceiling system set to 0" hight so the attic firewall frames correctly.

I did a quick layout of this for you.

Hope this helps...

Fire Duplex.plan

On 7/11/2019 at 8:29 PM, 10eighty said:

So I'm about ready to take a bath with a toaster!!

So I'm not quite sure where everything went wrong, Everything was going smooth, I copied my plan and reflected it upon the perfect line. Great copy, good dimensions.  But then when I created my fire separation wall all my framing got screwed up.  Ive been fighting with it for hours.  I feel like I am missing something pretty basic.  The problem is the party wall should be continuous and for some reason, all the stupid interior walls keep going through it.  I have toggled just about everything I can think of, broke and remover every interior wall from the party wall, snapped and unsnapped walls :(.  And I have scoured the internet and forums.  Do any of you guys see what I am missing? 

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Framing.jpg

Framing2.jpg

Wall Specification.JPG

Wall Type Definition.JPG

Here's a video showing my idea on a fire rated party wall...such as the USG U336 assembly.  Not a perfect solution...but it works.

• Like 1