Stem wall and footing under slab

MN_JohnH

I am trying to construct a home on a slab and I am going to use ICF walls around the perimeter with footings. The bottom of the footing needs to be 52" below grade and the interior of the icf walls are filled in and the slab is poured either on top of the ICF walls or inside the ICF walls. All the tutorials show how to make a slab foundation or a crawlspace but I don't see an option for a stem wall and footing below the slab without a crawlspace.

26 minutes ago, solver said:

What's the difference? A crawlspace has the dirt removed, the other does not.

26 minutes ago, solver said:

What's the difference? A crawlspace has the dirt removed, the other does not.

Well that's the question I guess, how do you remove the dirt and make the floor above to be a slab? Lets say slab inside the ICF wall.

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Change the floor structure to concrete, set the default foundation wall to ICF, select Hang Floor Platform Inside Foundation Walls when you build the foundation.

Awesome! thank you.

Now if I draw another interior wall and I want it to be a bearing wall shouldn't it show a footing under the slab on the foundation level? I can get it to show a footing by changing it to a foundation wall but it still doesn't show it on the foundation level. I need a thickened area under the slab under that wall.5-20-19 fresh.plan

You have the settings correct - making the wall a Bearing Wall and Create Wall/Footing Below.

You just need to Build foundation and the footing will build in the foundation.

The wall will look like a normal wall on level 1 and you will have a wall/footing in the foundation. 

Unless there is a pressing reason not to, I would always leave Automatically Build foundation toggled on.

3 hours ago, glennw said:

You have the settings correct - making the wall a Bearing Wall and Create Wall/Footing Below.

You just need to Build foundation and the footing will build in the foundation.

The wall will look like a normal wall on level 1 and you will have a wall/footing in the foundation. 

Unless there is a pressing reason not to, I would always leave Automatically Build foundation toggled on.

That works except I really don't want the same foundation stem wall that is on the other walls. I just want a thickened footing under the slab. I can go to a cross section and drag it up but then the auto foundation will fix it later if I rebuild or have it on auto rebuild. It would be nice if I could just change the foundation on that one wall to a thickened footing under the slab. I can do that by just changing the upper wall to a foundation wall but then it doesn't show on the foundation plan. So maybe leaving it as a non bearing wall so that the foundation rebuild will not mess with it and just drawing the thickened slab footing under it in as Solver said, is the only option...

3 hours ago, solver said:

This is what I get.

What do you want?

ct1.thumb.png.1f5fed827a3890ad88bd27facaef4c33.png

Yes that is what I get too but I just wanted it to show on the foundation plan view. If I build the foundation I get it on the plan view but I get the stem wall with it on the cross sections..
After thinking about it, I think the thing to do is just build the foundations automatically and then when it is all done, go to cross sections and modify them, I also almost always have some step footings too so there are other things to change that won't rebuild properly. Anyway, I think I am good here, thanks for the help.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:10 AM, MN_JohnH said:

....t I really don't want the same foundation stem wall that is on the other walls. I just want a thickened footing under the slab. ...

That is almost always the case for me,  therefore I may use auto build roof and foundation once and then turn auto off and edit any differences.

• Upvote 1

The problem with floors is you can't re-frame just one section (unless you re-draw each floor member of that section manually). Chief only allows you to re-frame the entire floor which screws up any customizing that you've done with the framing layout. Makes additions and remodels more difficult. bB