SIP Roof Modeling Question

Joe_Carrick

I am working on a project with 8" thick SIP roof panels supported on 6x12 sloped beams at 7' oc.  I would like to model it as accurately as possible (showing the panels structurally) but it seems to be a problem eliminating the rafters.  How would you model this?

• Show the SIP's as a part of the Roof Framing?
  • Show no Roof Framing and show the SIPs as a part of the Roof Finish?

I'm tending to think of the second method as the best option.

59 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

but it seems to be a problem eliminating the rafters.  How would you model this?

What rafters are you trying to eliminate ?   Are the 6x12's not rafters that hold up the SIP panels ?

Model your 6x12's @ 7' o.c. as the Roof Framing and then the panels as the roof finish or they could actually be part of the framing layer depending on where you need the roof plane to be.

Last one I did was a low-slope application. I placed the SIP as the roof structure, and the protection board and membrane as the roof finish. I modeled the open-web trusses separately - they were spaced quite far apart. This worked out well for this project, all things considered.

siproof.thumb.JPG.c84467b5a542e98f9cc2f3c9723eba68.JPGsiproofmem.thumb.JPG.675688ed38d236f9c6da2f54e6e67622.JPGsiproofsect.thumb.JPG.8207192803af23809278a73ff85c79ed.JPG

19 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

I think I would model the SIP panel as part of the "Roof Surface Definition" and create a material for the framing, or place the framing manually.

This seems to frame up OK but a bit confused about the "but it seems to be a problem eliminating the rafters" Why eliminate them? From a specific view? As rafter tails?

Here's a quick plan with the advice above framed up

SIP_1.plan

I did another project where the whole house was timber frame and pitched, and I placed the SIP and the shingles together within the roof surface definition. The timber elements were modeled separately as beams, posts, etc.

sip2a.thumb.JPG.725a4a42a7508b8379e0c452370e2878.JPGsip2b.thumb.JPG.32dcb4a743da96ca8fe854d75d863f38.JPG

I suppose I could have just called the 6x12 Beams - "Rafters" - and labeled them "Exposed Beams".  But then the "ceiling height" would have needed to be lower.

IAE, I did model the SIP's as an integral part of the "Roof Surface" and it works pretty much the way I wanted it to.