changing roof types on front porches


wolfrem68
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, wolfrem68 said:

I have tried to open the revised plan you returned. I seem to be locked out of the file.

 

Did you get this error message?   I tried to open the file and get this.  Doesn't happen in every case, but your file and wolfrem68's?

ERROR MESSAGE WHEN OPENING A PLAN FILE.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Greg_NY61 said:

Is this what you trying to do?

Natalie Donihoo_roof.plan

Greg, did you use X10 to work on Steve's roof plan?  I attempted to open it (I have X11 loaded) and got the error message I posted. I was going to send it in but thought it might just be because he's using X10 (?) Usually, when I attempt to open an older file I don't get an error message like this.  I may send it to tech support anyway, since I've gotten the same message when trying to open some other plans on the forum.

ERROR MESSAGE WHEN OPENING A PLAN FILE.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, wolfrem68 said:

I have tried to open the revised plan you returned. I seem to be locked out of the file.

 

 

IIIRC Steve you have SSA , which means the Upgrade to X11 is in your Digital locker , my guess is Greg used X11 to work on your plan as most of us are now running it.

 

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

FWIW,  there's no error opening plan on my end.  Are all you fellas running the latest update?  I'm on 21.1.1.2

Michael I'm running the latest update of X11. When I open X11 each time (if I receive the notification of an update) I stop and immediately load the update. When I open X11 down in the menu I see I'm currently running 21.1.1.2 as well.

I've had the error message appear in a few cases (not all) opening plans from various forum users, and didn't know if it was somehow related to the version of the software they were using or I was? I sent it as a ticket over to support. When I checked the KB it basically stated there is no information on what caused it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, wolfrem68 said:

yes

Steve, tech support worked on the issue I had with opening your original plan file and Greg's fix plan file (you couldn't open it either) and they couldn't duplicate the same error. They advised me to attempt to open the plan file with a different browser, which I did, and it opened fine with no error message. I assume you were finally able to open Greg's plan file?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, wolfrem68 said:

Have not had time to try again with another browser. Will try again. Thanks

Steve, I was opening another plan today from the Forum and bang same error message.  But this time I closed it, then clicked on the plan file, and when I went to open the plan file and the program asked if I wanted to open or save it, I saved it to my computer, then opened it in chief and this time I didn't get the error message. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Evolution said:

Steve, I was opening another plan today from the Forum and bang same error message.  But this time I closed it, then clicked on the plan file, and when I went to open the plan file and the program asked if I wanted to open or save it, I saved it to my computer, then opened it in chief and this time I didn't get the error message. 

 

Hi Bob, 

              it sounds like you or your Browser is trying to open the File directly from the Forum with Chief , rather than downloading the file to your Desktop ( for example) and then opening it.   

 

If the Browser tries it will load the file directly into Chief it maybe why it fails on you. You may need to reset the browser download options for .plan files to Download rather than Open. eg if using FireFox...... Options>General> What to do with File you download (scroll down).

 

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

 

Hi Bob, 

              it sounds like you or your Browser is trying to open the File directly from the Forum with Chief , rather than downloading the file to your Desktop ( for example) and then opening it.   

 

If the Browser tries it will load the file directly into Chief it maybe why it fails on you. You may need to reset the browser download options for .plan files to Download rather than Open. eg if using FireFox...... Options>General> What to do with File you download (scroll down).

 

M.

Mick, funny thing though, it only happens occasionally not every time I have opened a .plan file directly from the forum, and I haven't been doing anything special with any of them when I receive the message asking what I want to do I usually just select open (instead of saving as to my desk top). And it only started happening since X11 for me. Since tech support couldn't duplicate it and suggested I try opening with a different browser I took their suggestion for any file that gives me the same error message.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Evolution said:

Mick, funny thing though, it only happens occasionally not every time I have opened a .plan file directly from the forum, and I haven't been doing anything special with any of them when I receive the message asking what I want to do I usually just select open (instead of saving as to my desk top). And it only started happening since X11 for me. Since tech support couldn't duplicate it and suggested I try opening with a different browser I took their suggestion for any file that gives me the same error message.

 

Some browser download the file to the assigned download folder 1st , then give you a button to open it from the harddrive , which should work fine, others will try to open the file directly with the assigned app and the file will be in memory or a temperary internet folder which may fail at times by the sound of things , I always dump (save) Forum plans on my desktop and just delete them when done to avoid issues.

 

M. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, wolfrem68 said:

when I select the plan file from the forum it goes to my download file. When I select it from there it tells me that it cannot be opened.

 

Which Plan Steve? and what is the exact error message ( screen snip may help) I thought perhaps you had x10 still and Greg used X11 , so you wont be able to open it if that is the case as I posted above.

 

This is what I see if I try to open Greg's Plan in X10....( below )  but I thought you had SSA which means you can get X11 and open it.

image.thumb.png.088aba012336c3f4d511062dda62cde8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, wolfrem68 said:

Finally got the plan file to upload. Again, I need a gable porch  6 x 12 with mono roofs on either side. House is 40 x 50 x 10, w/ 4/12 pitch.

Natalie Donihoo_2019_04_25.plan

 

I really think you need to clarify what you're after.  Do the shed roofs start at eve of the existing roof?  At the wall?  Somewhere higher up the pitch?  Below the eves?  Doer the gable section have a higher ceiling?  Higher pitch?  Lower pitch?  Same pitch?  Does the shed roof have a lower pitch?  Does the gable section bump forward?  Is there actually a gable end wall?  Is the gable built on top of the shed roof or are the shed roofs truly separated?  The list could go on, and the details matter because it may change the approach taken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    31405
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    MCDCINC
    Newest Member
    MCDCINC
    Joined