brookesdesign

Bay Window

I'm trying to create this detail of a bay window and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to do it.  If I could do an upside down hip roof on the bottom bay window with a raised floor.   I'm an advanced beginner so I appreciate any help!  

19930.jpeg

Ceiling planes, roof planes, or solids are what I would probably use.  Ceiling planes might by the easiest and most appropriate though.

This uses a solid for the center and a Face on each end, but it could be all Faces.

ct1.thumb.jpg.a9eefc321e379c6f77627d3bc65cdc99.jpg

I used a molding polyline using a CA-35 crown molding which I grabbed out of the library pretty quickly.

Not too hard to make any shaped molding you want, to better suit.

No shortage of way to do that.

New Image_85.jpg

You would think this would be one of the Options in the DBX since it is a fairly Standard detail on some types of homes.

But I am guessing it is because Chief can't do Sloping Walls and normally this would be Framed....but even if it didn't Frame , ie was just Faces it would be better than nothing.

M.

I appreciate the answers but I've tried a few of them and I'm getting goofy results.  Like I said I'm an advanced beginner so if anyone could give a little instruction on how they accomplished that look.  Don't laugh but this is as close as I've gotten with the molding polyline using the CA-35.

image.png

35 minutes ago, brookesdesign said:

I appreciate the answers but I've tried a few of them and I'm getting goofy results.  Like I said I'm an advanced beginner so if anyone could give a little instruction on how they accomplished that look.  Don't laugh but this is as close as I've gotten with the molding polyline using the CA-35.

image.png

Try the molding line , not the (closed) polyline it's a bit easier to work with....  you can draw a CAD line around the Framing , then move it in the width of the Moulding (10" below) and then convert it to a Molding Polyline and uncheck extrude to inside. Note the bottom is hollow , so you may need to add a a Solid to fill it in depending on your View and the angles desired etc.

image.thumb.png.727dc1a90a3b1c8356c1b6c05d5e76d1.pngimage.thumb.png.c3993ab9383a32deb57b3ac754bb281f.png

Your elevation shows this.

ct1.thumb.jpg.3c305d168ea1a0adf9d59da9f2be2acd.jpgct2.thumb.jpg.5e9c782c404efcbe20cab7048dba4c46.jpg

A molding gives you this. It also intrudes into the interior.

ct3.thumb.jpg.e1a33c8276f7c3977aa6cf3fe9d952e9.jpgct4.thumb.jpg.6cc5d38f13b0b34233009d042e9102e7.jpg

Which is correct?

1 hour ago, solver said:

Your elevation shows this.

ct1.thumb.jpg.3c305d168ea1a0adf9d59da9f2be2acd.jpgct2.thumb.jpg.5e9c782c404efcbe20cab7048dba4c46.jpg

ct3.thumb.jpg.e1a33c8276f7c3977aa6cf3fe9d952e9.jpgct4.thumb.jpg.6cc5d38f13b0b34233009d042e9102e7.jpg

Which is correct?

That is true, they aren't quite the same, I did it like you 1st time around , then tried Glenn's method and found it all depended on the Pitch and wall thickness etc on whether it showed on the inside, but you have to make sure the ends of the line don't come through the drywall in plan view , which may mean issues on the outside , with it not reaching the Wall properly , but making your own molding profile would help though I think, Ie like a normal Crown with no solid back, instead of using CA35.

M.

I definitely don't think moldings are the right tool for this job.  Here's a quick video showing how to make pretty quick work of it using ceiling planes. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I definitely don't think moldings are the right tool for this job.  Here's a quick video showing how to make pretty quick work of it using ceiling planes.

Thanks Michael , certainly looks easier than Molding Lines and it will frame too....wasn't thinking about using Ceiling planes  "outside"....

7 hours ago, solver said:

Whilst using a molding polyline may not be the preferred method for this case, it is probably worth a heads up on the fact that the moldings intrude into the interior.

The end shape of the molding can be customised so that it is parallel to the wall and doesn't intrude into the interior.

The trick is to use a 3D Molding Polyline (as opposed to a Molding Polyline.

Add an extra line segment at each end and uncheck Molding On Selected Edge.

Now, by rotating the last (no molding) line segment, you can shape the moldings end angle to make it parallel to the wall.

The end angle of the molding will bisect the angle between the last 2 lines.

This does not work with a Molding Polyline - in that case, the ends of the molding are always perpendicular to the molding.  

New Image_198.jpg

• Upvote 2