Gable Roof

Designer1

Does anyone know how to create this curved roof that starts on the second floor and integrates into the curved eave on the first floor?  I found this example on chiefs samples gallery on the website of the closest thing I can find to what Im looking for.  I went on the tutorial videos and saw many videos on curved eaves and rooflines but nothing on how to get second and first floor roof lines to combine into one.   Any ideas?

This is just a quick example box that I created to demonstrate what Im dealing with now.

image.thumb.png.f6dfddd521f35f52d83e3b27e51500e5.png

Thanks!

Gable Roof.jpg

Chad,

I did it manually.

You could probably build that whole roof auto and then just add the curved bit at the end.

That way you can get all your other roofs at the correct heights and slopes and then it is just a matter of fitting the curved one in to fit by changing the radius, slope, heights, etc.

6 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Does anyone know how to create this curved roof that starts on the second floor and integrates into the curved eave on the first floor?  I found this example on chiefs samples gallery on the website of the closest thing I can find to what Im looking for.  I went on the tutorial videos and saw many videos on curved eaves and rooflines but nothing on how to get second and first floor roof lines to combine into one.   Any ideas?

This is just a quick example box that I created to demonstrate what Im dealing with now.

image.thumb.png.f6dfddd521f35f52d83e3b27e51500e5.png

Thanks!

Gable Roof.jpg

Chad, I typed a tutorial on how to do this roof several years ago. Wouldn't take me long to find it and do a practice roof. I could demonstrate this for you online if you like.

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

nothing on how to get second and first floor roof lines to combine into one.   Any ideas?

You can move a roof plan to any floor for editing. In your case, if you've built one roof plane on the main floor and one on the 2nd, pick one and move it up or down so you can easily connect them. They'll still be 2 roof planes.

image.thumb.png.1f1bd6ad6ac8fcefcfc8219e5b0c7b90.png

Thanks everyone for the input.  Tommy and Chris thanks for offering the video help.  That video you posted Chris was very interesting in how she was able to accomplish the entire roof within the automatic roof dbx.  Everything Ive seen up till this point has been using custom roof planes and raising up roof lines etc.  I will have to go try out some of these methods from the video.

Thanks again for all the help!

she was able to accomplish the entire roof within the automatic roof dbx.

Chad,

Not so...

I think that you will find that before she curved the roof, she turned off auto roofs.

She was actually curving the roof and trimming it to the adjacent roof plane manually.

If you try and curve the roof without turning off auto roofs, you get a message asking if you want to turn auto roofs off.

She didn't get the message, therefore I assume she turned auto roofs off and then manually edited the curved roof. 

Thanks Glenn.  Yeah I saw that I just meant most these complicated roof types require a lot of custom roof planes (or at least I always thought so).  I guess Im having lots of issues with these because I don't do these roof styles often so Im not as familiar with chiefs different roof tools to accomplish this.  Thanks for the additional info, I will make sure auto roofs are off.