Hotkeys--I like my hotkeys, they work off first letters.

zowie123

Hi All,

Most of the hotkeys use the first letters of tool they represent, several wouldn't allow me that option because I had used them already, so I used the letter of a hard sound in the word.  There are a few that seem odd, but they're quick from the left hand, like shift cont z to open default properties--mouse on the right keyboard on the left--I'm right handed.  1, 1 opens hotkeys.  All the rest that don't make sense are the default keys, ignore them, most of them you don't need.  I hardly ever use dropdowns, hotkeys increase working speed by tons.  Cheers, Barry

Here's an example.   Happy power using.

image.thumb.png.f096392989b336d2b01c072c407b3fb4.png

Barrys Hotkeys.xml

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Barry,

Very similar to my own.

I use ones like ZA (zoom all), ZI (zoom in), ZB (zoom window building only), LB (library browser), PB (project browse), TV (tile vertically), TH (tile horizontally), etc.

Generic Cadd had this figured out at least 30 years ago.

1 hour ago, zowie123 said:

Hi All,

Most of the hotkeys use the first letters of tool they represent, several wouldn't allow me that option because I had used them already, so I used the letter of a hard sound in the word.  There are a few that seem odd, but they're quick from the left hand, like shift cont z to open default properties--mouse on the right keyboard on the left--I'm right handed.  1, 1 opens hotkeys.  All the rest that don't make sense are the default keys, ignore them, most of them you don't need.  I hardly ever use dropdowns, hotkeys increase working speed by tons.  Cheers, Barry

Here's an example.   Happy power using.

image.thumb.png.f096392989b336d2b01c072c407b3fb4.png

Barrys Hotkeys.xml

Thanks Barry for sharing , I'll take a look for sure, not a big keyboarder due to a hand injury but , I need to get better at it....

PS , dont be shy :) do your Forum Signature ...

Ohhh and some from Glenn too ...thx....

• 1 month later...

I have mine set-up for left-hand only.

I did a spreadsheet where I mapped all the possible combos for my left hand - including with modifiers, etc, and ranked them by how difficult they were to physically do. For example, 'F' would be probably the easiest key to press.

Then I did another spreadsheet where I listed the tools I use in chief, and how frequently I use them. For example, I use 'open object' quite a bit. I also flip door swings, make dimensions, do point to point move, etc. I listed all these out, and ranked them by how often I use them. Remember to consider 3D views as well, and Layout - because you only get one set of hotkeys - they don't change based on the view.

Then I mapped the two lists together. It took a bit of work. But I almost never put my right hand on the keyboard, and I never have to look at the keyboard, so I'm blazing fast and it feels very natural.

It's a lot of work but was worth it for me.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, kylejmarsh said:

It's a lot of work but was worth it for me.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, glennw said:

Very similar to my own.

Or you could do even MORE work and map every ANSI key and modifier to a MIDI note and create a 4 page graphical toolbar for your tablet to perform very complex shortcuts like switching plan views in 0.7 seconds pressing 1 button, or dragging a slider for quick input of 1-12" with a 1/2" step modifier, or swiping across a toolbar and deselecting all snaps at once :)

Capture.thumb.PNG.fe7a2fc64453676b1ec3b4fd2fa074c7.PNG

Still haven't had anyone step up to do beta testing and I've been using it daily, saves me 5-10 hours per plan on avg.

Glen I included you because of your post in the other thread

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Still haven't had anyone step up to do beta testing and I've been using it daily, saves me 5-10 hours per plan on avg.

Rene,

Saves you 5-10 hours?

What input methods were you using before?

7 hours ago, glennw said:

Rene,

Saves you 5-10 hours?

What input methods were you using before?

Hotkeys couldn't get me to custom library items like this system can...1 button push for w/h, toilet, occupancy sensor, fridge with cabinet over, microwave under cab, saved plan view switching, dropping saved notes and CAD blocks, even complex actions like adding an arrow to spline in under a second. Changing a room to mono slab or floor defaults in under a second with a single button push...and for me personally...there is NO WAY I could ever remember a couple hundred hotkeys...and that's just in regards to working from desktop with the ipad..

In the field with a laptop and an iPhone loaded with the same hotkeys works beautifully as well.

Barry:'

Not sure how to use that *.xml format ... gives me a bunch of number codes I am not sure what to do with.  Never used .xml files before.  Could you just post a blank plan with your hot keys or can you expand your image to something that covers all your hot keys that a not so techy user can understand?  I like what you've shown in your image for hot keys.

6 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Barry:'

Not sure how to use that *.xml format ... gives me a bunch of number codes I am not sure what to do with.  Never used .xml files before.  Could you just post a blank plan with your hot keys or can you expand your image to something that covers all your hot keys that a not so techy user can understand?  I like what you've shown in your image for hot keys.

Curt..... all you do is rename Barry's File and replace the Defualt .xml file in Chief's Hotkey Folder with this one.... and Restart Chief and they will be in use.

perhaps just rename the existing one so you have it for back up as I did below.....

Mick.

image.thumb.png.87d0eece2a97316146ab30da8bd0b5c5.png

You can use File>Import>Import Hotkeys (.xml).

Problem is, this will overwrite all your existing hotkey assignments.

It may be better to use Tools>Toolbars and Hotkeys>Create Hotkey list - you will need to get the other user to do this for you.

This will give you an .html file that you can view and then make manual changes to your hotkey list one at a time.

New Image_124.jpg

• 1 month later...