Is there still no way to calculate drywall?

Michael_Gia

13 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Yes you have to manually change the attic walls which makes me wish for an Attic Wall type in defaults that can be defined with no interior finish.

You'd just end up editing more wall types. Especially when you have several exterior cladding types on one project. I make my attic walls close to the end of a job when the client is done selecting materials, but before I start completing sections. Just copy your main floor wall, rename it and remove the drywall, uncheck the insulation in the framing layer, remove the fill type from the framing layer, and adjust the framing layer to 1.5" thick, and use insulation air gap so it doesn't frame a wall where you'd use a gable end truss. 

5 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

The most accurate way to count drywall is to do what the installers do and walk thru your floor plan like you would walk thru a house and count the sheets on each wall and ceiling as you were installing it your self. It is very quick and easy that way once you do it a couple of times. 

Does this mean you need to take your socks off?! I agree. However, with experience one should find a correlation from floor area to wall area for the types of homes you build, for estimating only, not ordering. Let's remember the material list for wallboard would only be good for estimating because you'd order different lengths as needed per room, some 48", some 54", some mold resistant ,some tile backer etc.

6 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Just copy your main floor wall, rename it and remove the drywall, uncheck the insulation in the framing layer, remove the fill type from the framing layer, and adjust the framing layer to 1.5" thick, and use insulation air gap so it doesn't frame a wall where you'd use a gable end truss. 

That's what I do now but I still think the program could be modified so an Attic Wall type in Defaults could have all the specs you describe, and ALSO derive it's exterior cladding from the main Exterior wall.

8 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Let's remember the material list for wallboard would only be good for estimating because you'd order different lengths as needed per room, some 48", some 54", some mold resistant ,some tile backer etc.

As I said, my ceiling finish and wall definitions already automatically specify the corresponding board types. The only thing I have to manually change is the ceiling finish on the garage ceiling.

For what it is worth This is only my opinion based on my experience. Not necessarily the right way just my way.

This is how we view it at Built-Right Construction:

Drywall is not expensive enough to return so we just scrap it out or move it to another job if its convenient to do so. Also we mostly use 12 foot sheets unless it makes sense to use shorter materials but most of the time the 12 foot sheets work out fine. More waste but less taping means less labor. Drywall is never the trade that breaks my budget unless I screw up really bad on the take off.

With that said, I would still love for Chief to improve their material list but it is not a high priority for me right now. I would rather Chief use the time to keep making the drawing part of the program better. I'm sure that's why they don't spend to much time on material list. In all reality (not speaking with experience in programming) I'm also assuming that the drawing part of the program needs to be more advanced before you can get an accurate materials list. It's all a process. But either way I really like CA and where they are going.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK CA TEAM!

A little late to the party.. but when boarders install drywall they go right over windows and doors and then cut out openings and throw away ... so how could ca actually calculate drywall if it doesn’t use the total wall including openings? What am I missing?

same thing with counters.. I have used custom labels for counter area but if there is a sink ca doesn’t count this hole.. but we still pay for this.. is there a better way of doing this?

6 hours ago, dskogg said:

A little late to the party.. but when boarders install drywall they go right over windows and doors and then cut out openings and throw away ... so how could ca actually calculate drywall if it doesn’t use the total wall including openings? What am I missing?

same thing with counters.. I have used custom labels for counter area but if there is a sink ca doesn’t count this hole.. but we still pay for this.. is there a better way of doing this?

Chief does not deduct windows or doors from the calculation as far as I can tell. Windows can be installed from floor to ceiling and chief will return the same number of sheets with or without the window, which is the right way to calculate. As you said, installers go right over the window, cut out the window and throw that piece into a container. 

As Kbird1, recommended, I switched my calculation method to area instead of sheet for the quantity. This allows me to calculate the waste myself rather than have Chief round out the number of sheets. 

Material list is still ill not reliable or obvious for these sorts of calculations. I still double check with Plines. 

The one and only thing I miss from my days with SoftPlan is there material list module, SoftList. That was incredible. So straight forward and precise. Too bad everything else was so constrained and restricted when compared to Chief. 

Can’t have it all, I guess.