INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED PBR VIDEO

Renerabbitt

This video is pretty long, looking for a ton of feedback so I can narrow down a direction and compile videos that will be meaningful to everyone.

Going over some good tricks and tips for creating awesome looking scenes with little to no effort after templating

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Your video on PBR shows the possibilities. However most of what you went over was too advanced for me. Needless to say...but i was amazed.  

Also...I’m always torn about the value of spending a lot of time on rendering scenes.  Seems like I waste a lot of time trying to get things just right...but can’t be compensated for the effort required. 

I would like you to do short videos that explain some of the basics...such as “what is an ambient occlusion map and how do you create one”.  Then, where do you store the maps you have created.  Same with the other maps.  How do you create...what they do...and where do you keep them on your computer.  Basic stuff...start at the beginning.  

One more thing.  How do you post a video on Chief Talk without posting to YouTube?  

Thanks for doing a great video.  Very eye opening.  

Rene, nice video, it seems to explain it all. Lots to ponder. I do lots of mostly con doc's so never get into that much detail with my renders,  Scott and I call our renders "Crappy renders" mostly b/c we didn't want to wait for ray-traces.  Thanks for the lesson and tweaks to get them better.

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

Thanks for doing a great video.  Very eye opening.  

Exactly what I was hoping for in a response, thank you very much.

I know I wasnt very clear in the video but one of the major points is that I only have to setup these default materials once and then all subsequent kitchens etc. Will look good with only a few minutes time. I ended up saving all the materials to defaults after the video.

I'll break a video into parts as suggested .

Do you have a kitchen .plan file you could share? I could use it as an example

43 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Rene, nice video, it seems to explain it all. Lots to ponder. I do lots of mostly con doc's so never get into that much detail with my renders,  Scott and I call our renders "Crappy renders" mostly b/c we didn't want to wait for ray-traces.  Thanks for the lesson and tweaks to get them better.

Thanks as well.. do you happen to have a crappy render .plan to share ? Haha

21 minutes ago, johnny said:

Does anyone know if its possible to export Chief files WITH all the texture and reflection maps???  Using PBR would be incredibly useful if there was a way to export the work into a rendering app that continued the process.  

Not that  know of- The material files I use in Thea use the same material diffuse/bump/normal/roughness maps as CA so that I don't need to constantly update both

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Exactly what I was hoping for in a response, thank you very much.

I know I wasnt very clear in the video but one of the major points is that I only have to setup these default materials once and then all subsequent kitchens etc. Will look good with only a few minutes time. I ended up saving all the materials to defaults after the video.

I'll break a video into parts as suggested .

Do you have a kitchen .plan file you could share? I could use it as an example

Quoted you above so you would see this post;

I downloaded your "Starter Kitchen Material Package" from your "X11 Ongoing Symbols Thread"...but I'm getting a "texture missing" on a number of the materials. Is this correct?  

I love the recessed light you created...works fantastic.  The subway tile is great also...

24347217_RABSKitStarter-TextureMissing.thumb.png.2a32ad7d2b8c47bf76875d8733308e6b.png

24 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Quoted you above so you would see this post;

I downloaded your "Starter Kitchen Material Package" from your "X11 Ongoing Symbols Thread"...but I'm getting a "texture missing" on a number of the materials. Is this correct?  

I love the recessed light you created...works fantastic.  The subway tile is great also...

24347217_RABSKitStarter-TextureMissing.thumb.png.2a32ad7d2b8c47bf76875d8733308e6b.png

Can you list which materials are missing, or screenshot for me?

34 minutes ago, SNestor said:
38 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Can you list which materials are missing, or screenshot for me?

5131 Calacatta-Ceasarstone

ALDER DEFAULT CABINET

Ceiling Gyp Bd

Oak Plank Floor

Wall Textured Gypsum Board

mind trying this out and see if you get the same problem:

RABS_STARTER_KITCHEN_MATERIAL_PACKAGE.calibz

5 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Same result...maybe someone else should try downloading.  Maybe I'm screwing something up.  

No I think it has to do with CA backing up textures to the data folder...as soon as I point to the texture in my file structure it redirects to CAs data folder

4 hours ago, johnny said:

Does anyone know if its possible to export Chief files WITH all the texture and reflection maps???  Using PBR would be incredibly useful if there was a way to export the work into a rendering app that continued the process.  

When exporting CA all the textures come with the model.

I use Thea and apart from the glass which need changing, Only all of the diffuse and roughness maps get exported.

I suppose i have to find in setting how to allow the other maps to be exported.

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

Same result...maybe someone else should try downloading.  Maybe I'm screwing something up.  

try this :    Use the Library Import Button , don't Drag and Drop   I have seen this on some of my shared Libraries too.

Imported just fine for me from the Symbols Forum.  10 items correct?

Package Imports into X10 as well ...but won't open there , I did it 1st there by accident :)

Mick