Plan View vs. Annotation Sets:

builtright3

Plan View vs. Annotation Sets:

Please let me know if I have this right or if it opens another question to anyone.

This is the way that I’m figuring to use “Plan Views” to work with my needs:

Annotation Sets are great in the way that you can set all your defaults to work together with your layer sets. So instead of coming up with a lot of “Plan Views” for presets I will still start with the annotation set and save the plan view as I’m creating a new plan. In this way I only have the Plan View that relates to the current plan I’m working with. So, in this way your Plan view set doesn’t get long and have a bunch of views you don’t need in your current plan.

I’m assuming that when you save a Plan View that when you change the “Saved Plan View Specifications” as per the attached picture that it doesn’t change the Annotation set that I started with. Is that correct? Or is it still working off the setting’s in the annotation set? Are they completely independent of each other once you save the Plan View?

Hope this makes sense. Any help or input would be much appreciated. 

Capture1.thumb.PNG.8130cb9de113f17e0574c71475ff86d3.PNG

Edited by builtright3
Clarification

27 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I’m assuming that when you save a Plan View that when you change the “Saved Plan View Specifications” as per the attached picture that it doesn’t change the Annotation set that I started with. Is that correct? Or is it still working off the setting’s in the annotation set? Are they completely independent of each other once you save the Plan View?

I think the answer to what you are asking is yes.

Have plan view A using annoset A, then change to annoset B and Save AS-plan view A will still have annoset A while new plan view B will be tied to annoset B.

OTOH if you just SAVE after you change from annoset A to annoset B then it will have annoset B.

For this reason I moved the Save Plan view icon all the way to the left and added both New and Save as icons where it was. I teach my clients that when they start they open two plan views, change layerset on one, then close it. When message pops up asking "do you want to save" check don't ask again and NO. This prevents them from accidentally mucking up the plan views that were sent to layout (like closing in a hurry, have to get to meeting, message pops up do you want to save...and didn't read what it wanted to save, just said yes...)

Go to a layout you completed in the past and open each view on the layout and save each one as plan view with desired title.  Then you will have all the views saved that you need to create a layout.

Do all your work in your working plan view, knowing all of your other saved plan views will be showing up on your layout template.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

Annotation Sets are great in the way that you can set all your defaults to work together with your layer sets. So instead of coming up with a lot of “Plan Views” for presets I will still start with the annotation set and save the plan view as I’m creating a new plan.

This describes my workflow. I don't use the same types of views for every project, so reusing saved plan views hasn't struck me as beneficial. I create and save the views I need for the project. Since I knew how I wanted Layer Sets, Annotation Sets, and Plan Views to work, I wiped out all of the factory-supplied ones and made my own.

Reusing Annotation Sets and Layer Sets, however, does serve me well; they make it easy to set up the active defaults for new Saved Plan Views. I will also sometimes create a view with the same name as an annotation set, if it makes sense to, and also create new anno sets and layer sets on a per-project basis.

i.e., do what works for you. :)

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

Changing settings in the Plan View won't change the settings in either the annotation set or the layer set, but it will change the plan view. Play around with flipping the Annotation Set, Layer Set, and Active Defaults settings in a Plan View Specifications on a test file, you'll get a feel for it.

I like linking an annotation set to the plan view which also has a layer set being driven by the annotation set. You just have to be careful about saving changes to the plan view.