Gfci Wp Outlet

ACADuser

Add "WP" to the cad block. Find the cad block and insert it on the plan , unblock it and change it, then block it again. Change the name to something you will recognize. with the outlet selected, open the 3d symbol DBX and change the cad block to the new one.

Add "WP" to the cad block. Find the cad block and insert it on the plan , unblock it and change it, then block it again. Change the name to something you will recognize. with the outlet selected, open the 3d symbol DBX and change the cad block to the new one.

Don't forget, once you've done that - add the symbol to your User Library so that it's available for future use.  Don't continuously reinvent the wheel.

OK, you are talking to a guy with 9 days of experance with Chief.

Add "WP" to the cad block. Check

Find the cad block and insert it on the plan ,  Check

unblock it and change it,  Oops, can't find the explode button for this block?

When you insert a cad block on the plan, you should be able to unblock it using the "unblock" tool on your edit toolbar or pull down menu. You can also just create a new cad block and block it, it automatically goes into the cad block DBX and just use that one instead.

OK, you can do what Glenn says, but it's not the same thing.

The Electrical Symbol that you get from the Library has a 2D CAD Block associated with it.

The text is a part of that CAD Block.

So here is the process to Change the CAD Block itself.

1.  Select the Symbol that you have placed in the Plan and Open the Symbol using the little Chair Icon

2.  Find the name of the 2d Block. "Outlets:Wall Mounted/110V/GFCI"

3.  Go to the Menu and select CAD>CAD Block Management or just hit the V key

4.  Select that CAD Block From the List and select the "Insert" Button.

5.. Once you have placed it in the Plan you can select it, Unblock, make the changes, Block it and Name the new Block

6.  Now Select the Symbol and Open the Symbol dbx

7.  Select your new Named 2D Block

You have now assigned a new 2D Block to the Symbol

Add it (The Symboi) to your Library with an appropriate name.

• Upvote 1

The Electrical Symbol that you get from the Library has a 2D CAD Block associated with it.

1.  Select the Symbol that you have placed in the Plan and Open the Symbol using the little Chair Icon

5.. Once you have placed it in the Plan you can select it, Unblock, make the changes, Block it and Name the new Block

This is exactly right if you're wanting to change the "cad block" which is probably what you want instead of the label. I have seen many people show the electrical labels in plan view too which I don't show.

BTW, if you want to know some other tips about the electrical cad blocks you see in plan view, then give me a call or email with a number to call you with. I did respond a while back from an email you send back when you posted help on Linked-in. Might also consider taking advantage of our user group (Houston User Group). We're there to help and try to answer any question you might have. We have people from several states joining in. It's free.

Wow, this one is a bit of a trial!

If all you want to do is change the label, double click the outlet symbol. go to the Label panel, click Specify Label and type in whatever you want. 

Thanks Glennw,

Changing the label does not change the 2D cad block.

In my case I want it to say "WP GFI" on all future blocks, I don't use any WP recepticals thet are not GFI & the plans examinor wants to see the GFI indication.

You must use WP GFI in rain exposed locations so GFI by itself is not exceptable.

Thanks Glennw,

Changing the label does not change the 2D cad block.

In my case I want it to say "WP GFI" on all future blocks, I don't use any WP recepticals thet are not GFI & the plans examinor wants to see the GFI indication.

You must use WP GFI in rain exposed locations so GFI by itself is not exceptable.

Please read Joe's last post again. If you still don't follow, then give me a call or email me and I'll do a quick online meeting and demonstrate it for you. I'm walking the dog right now for a few minutes so if you call and I don't answer, call me cell- 832-754-6160.

Joe thanks so much for your presistance in this task.

1. OK

2. OK

Once opened the pop up window does not have a menu or allow Ctrl V with out exiting the pop up.

I assume that steps 1 & 2 were to assure that the block exist in the drawing.

3 & 4  Inserting the block with this menu did produce as block that I could explode. Thanks you ;)

5. There is no Unblock option only Explode doint so I was able to edit the text object block the objects & choose an insert point.

I added it to the catalog. Which it chose User Catalog.

The problem I now have is that the block is a dumb block which does not insert as the electical block, snapint to walls, auto rotating & when this block is rotated the text is no longer positioned correctly.

I do apreaciate your efforts &  I see how to edit a block now :)

But I still want the smart block from electrical to insert smartly.

Is that doable?

Please read Joe's last post again. If you still don't follow, then give me a call or email me and I'll do a quick online meeting and demonstrate it for you. I'm walking the dog right now for a few minutes so if you call and I don't answer, call me cell- 832-754-6160.

tommy

Thanks so much for the offer.

I may have to take you up on it. ;)

Joe thanks so much for your presistance in this task.

1. OK

2. OK

Once opened the pop up window does not have a menu or allow Ctrl V with out exiting the pop up.

I assume that steps 1 & 2 were to assure that the block exist in the drawing.

3 & 4  Inserting the block with this menu did produce as block that I could explode. Thanks you ;)

5. There is no Unblock option only Explode doint so I was able to edit the text object block the objects & choose an insert point.

I added it to the catalog. Which it chose User Catalog.

The problem I now have is that the block is a dumb block which does not insert as the electical block, snapint to walls, auto rotating & when this block is rotated the text is no longer positioned correctly.

I do apreaciate your efforts &  I see how to edit a block now :)

But I still want the smart block from electrical to insert smartly.

Is that doable?

You missed the step of editing the Symbol by assigning the new CAD Block using the Symbol dbx.  It's not the CAD Block that you need to add to the Library, it's the Symbol after you've assigned the new CAD Block to it.

Check Steps 6 & 7 again.

You just need to understand that a Symbol is a 3D Object and a CAD Block is a 2D Object.  2D Objects are essentially "Dumb" as you call them.  However, each 3D Symbol can (and usually does) have a 2D CAD Block associated with it to use in the 2D Plan View. 

In most cases the 2D Block is a close representation of the 3D Object as viewed from above.  In the case of Electrical Fxtures and some Appliances the 2D Block is just a Graphic that looks nothing like the 3D Object at all.  That's why we have the option of modifying the CAD Block - but we have to tell the 3D Symbol what CAD Block to use.

OK at 5. I have a new CAD block in my floor plan

6. select what symbol? Isn't a symbol a 3D object displayed in a picture view or elevation?

Open the Symbol dbx I assume that is the chair icon only available when you can select a symbol.

Sorry to be so dense. :(

Every 3d object has a 2d cad block associated to it. What you see on the plan is the 2d cad block associated to it. You must select the object to get the answer to ,what cad block is associated to it, then once you know the answer, you can then just open "cad block management " tool and change it to the new cad block. I'm sure there is a video on it  at Chief.

Wow, got it.

Opening a 3D view & right click selecting the Receptacle then the chair w/ pencil icon, select 2D on left menu, then select a block I made.

Too many terms & concepts that I don't understand yet.

Thanks for your patience.