Gfci Wp Outlet

ACADuser

OK at 5. I have a new CAD block in my floor plan

6. select what symbol? Isn't a symbol a 3D object displayed in a picture view or elevation?

Open the Symbol dbx I assume that is the chair icon only available when you can select a symbol.

Sorry to be so dense. :(

Yes, a Symbol is a 3D Object.  However, when you select the 2D Block that's attached to a Symbol in the Plan View (IOW, the original outlet placed on the wall) you get the overall Symbol and not just the CAD Block.  You will notice on the Edit Toolbar that there are 2 icons for the object.  One is the "Open Door" and one is the "Chair".  This is the same as selecting the Symbol in a 3D View.

Wow, got it.

Opening a 3D view & right click selecting the Receptacle then the chair w/ pencil icon, select 2D on left menu, then select a block I made.

Too many terms & concepts that I don't understand yet.

Thanks for your patience.

Patience Grasshopper.......

Rome wasn't built in a day and no one here learned to use Chief Architect in a day either.  I've been using it for at least 10 years and am still learning and refining how I do things. 

My father had a saying I will never forget:

Can't never did anything!  It constantly reminds me to be patient and persistent.  Just keep trying and look for the answers.

I was an ACAD user before I started using Chief and I was pretty competent with it.  While Chief is 3D, it needs 2D for certain things so we have no option but to learn how those things work together.  Virtually all of what you see in Plan View is 2D CAD but where there's an underlying 3D Object it's connected. 

OK I'm starting to put it together.

Yes there is a window for changing the 2D block in that dialog box.

Wish they had context sensitive help.

Select an object - then hit F1 key.

It won't give you everything, but for the most part it should put you in the right help section.  Sometimes you just have to search with key words in help to find everything.

• 2 years later...
On ‎2014‎-‎09‎-‎15 at 7:15 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

OK, you can do what Glenn says, but it's not the same thing.

The Electrical Symbol that you get from the Library has a 2D CAD Block associated with it.

The text is a part of that CAD Block.

So here is the process to Change the CAD Block itself.

1.  Select the Symbol that you have placed in the Plan and Open the Symbol using the little Chair Icon

2.  Find the name of the 2d Block. "Outlets:Wall Mounted/110V/GFCI"

3.  Go to the Menu and select CAD>CAD Block Management or just hit the V key

4.  Select that CAD Block From the List and select the "Insert" Button.

5.. Once you have placed it in the Plan you can select it, Unblock, make the changes, Block it and Name the new Block

6.  Now Select the Symbol and Open the Symbol dbx

7.  Select your new Named 2D Block

You have now assigned a new 2D Block to the Symbol

Add it (The Symboi) to your Library with an appropriate name.

Thank you Joe -  exactly what I needed!!!  I've been scratching my head for years trying to make this change to a GFCI block which always seems to have the label in the wrong place :)