chamfer column cap

Doug_N

Yup Eric, I get it.  They do add to, not take away, and taking away is what I want to do.  

So I have to create a base that is, say 4" Thick, and if the chamfer is 1" x 1" then the base has to be 2" smaller in length and width and I add the molding to the outside all around.  If I want the angle to be 45 degrees then I need to create a profile with the 40 degree cut in it that is 4" tall, otherwise the angle would change when adjusting the height.   

I sure would be nice to have a chamfer tool that works on solids and slabs.

Sorry I had to run out on you before explaining the countertop molding.   For next time make sure the molding fully surrounds the countertop and then paint it the same color.  Draw one to scale that only has 4 sides if you need to show it in vector view but this one is a modified stock library item.

countertop molding.JPG

Michael, 

That does add a chamfer to the exterior by adding a molding outside of the slab or countertop.  In a way this is a workaround for a missing 3d tool that is common in other cad packages.   Just saying... 

Thanks for your feedback, your comments are always helpful and appreciated.

Steve,

What an awesome post and video.   Thank you for the great video about solids and solid manipulation.  

While it does answer my question on how do accomplish this in a very professional way, it does not address the need for a tool to do this type of edit with a simple click on an edge that can be found in almost any other 3d cad modelling application.  

My thanks for going to the trouble to do this though.  I will certainly be using this in the future.  

Regards

Doug

Just now, solver said:

Another good video by Steve, and a good technique to know, but in this case, I'll suggest using a Truncated Pyramid unioned with a solid below might be quicker for some.

I agree...but Doug mentioned "solid subtraction doesn't seem to work"....therefore, the video.  

22 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Solid subtraction doesn't seem to work.  Neither does the countertop, the molding goes the wrong way, out instead of in.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, SNestor said:

Doug...why not use solids and create a symbol?  See video...

Thx Steve.... you should add this to your Others in the Tips Forum......and perhaps add your YT Channel to your Sig.

M.

• Upvote 1