Clarice

Is there an additive measurement tool in Chief?

I may be old fashion, but I'm used to using a rolling scalemaster tool to do takeoffs on paper plans.

I use this to measure lengths of various materials.

Does Chief have a tool that I can use to measure lengths continuously?  If I have a bunch of walls I'd like to

measure each length and keep a running total.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Aloha,

Clarice

Any chance they are connected perimeter walls ?  Select the exterior room and "Make Room Polyline" 885314071_MakeRoomPolylinetool.JPG.3ee042d583764841a7db3a5266800811.JPG and open it.  It will give you the combined Length.

Mahalo!

I was hoping for something that I could use for separated walls.  On paper plans with my scalemaster - rolling scale ruler - I would roll over my walls one at a time

and it would keep a running total.  

I was thinking that this would be pretty simple with the tape measure tool if it could keep a running total.

Aloha,

Clarice

Select the walls you want to total.

On the Edit toolbar, select Components.

This will give you a total length for each wall type in your selection.

Why not just use the materials list tool and get everything in an instant? If you really need perimeter lengths, you could take the baseboard number and divide by two. 

A lot of great options in Chief.  Material lists, schedules, macros, polylines, etc.  

...and many ways to very quickly manipulate the results with spreadsheets.  There is no specific running total tool though.  

I have used Bluebeam Revu for several years to do takeoffs from PDFs. Even if I have created something in Chief, to me, Revu is my 'go to' application. Great for a really quick tile takeoff to send to my supplier. I think it would work well for what you are wanting to do - every line you can draw over a wall will be included in a markup list that can be group totaled, sorted, etc. All to scale because you can 'calibrate' Revu  to match the scale of whatever you open.  I know there are most likely ways to do some of the same tasks in Chief, but Revu is very intuitive right from the start.

Give the trial download a shot.- you won't be disappointed. They also have some sample and training videos.