Complex Macro Request, is this possible?

Renerabbitt

Hey Rene,

Just so you know, I wasn’t ignoring you.  I have just been spending very little time on CT lately and only saw the notification when I checked in to make a couple suggestions.

Anyway, it sounds like Joe might be working on something for you, but if you decide you might need my assistance, I DO still offer an array of Chief support services.  I just don’t advertise it much.  

Just shoot me an email at alaskansons@gmail.com if you would like to discuss further.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:49 PM, DRAWZILLA said:

what about beam calc's and I can't remember the last time any city accepted  -- without calc's   most of the jobs I do are not anything standard.

I use forte, both contra costa county and alameda county have approved plans without the engineers stamp. I work with mkennedy2000 who has helped me get plan-sets through without an engineer stamp on many occasions.

an example set prepped for red-line(missing my forte calcs and has some graphical errors in cross section):

218-09-24 BARNETT-R-0.pdf

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Hey Rene,

Just so you know, I wasn’t ignoring you.  I have just been spending very little time on CT lately and only saw the notification when I checked in to make a couple suggestions.

Anyway, it sounds like Joe might be working on something for you, but if you decide you might need my assistance, I DO still offer an array of Chief support services.  I just don’t advertise it much.  

Just shoot me an email at alaskansons@gmail.com if you would like to discuss further.

good to stay busy! I will likely ping you one of these days, I need to learn more about macros!

On 9/26/2018 at 2:33 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

FWIW, I'm working off of the 2016 IRC and will incorporate that code as much as possible.  In some cases it will require setup by the user to allow proper calculations but for this exercise I'm limiting it to CBWLs..  

Note that the Adjustment Factors and Loading will have to be established and specifically entered into a text file or macro depending on the job.

I have no problem inputting, I'm typically using the seismic, so adjustment factors are very different from wind speed tables. I figured a bit of work would be needed for the end user

18 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I use forte, both contra costa county and alameda county have approved plans without the engineers stamp. I work with mkennedy2000 who has helped me get plan-sets through without an engineer stamp on many occasions.

an example set prepped for red-line(missing my forte calcs and has some graphical errors in cross section):

218-09-24 BARNETT-R-0.pdf

I wish that was the way down here but it's unfortunate that won't work in this area, they want a stamp on everything and that's what I have do for 40 years now. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I have no problem inputting, I'm typically using the seismic, so adjustment factors are very different from wind speed tables. I figured a bit of work would be needed for the end user

I've almost finished the Seismic (including adjustment factors) and will be working on a video Monday night.  I have a system set up so that the standard OIP fields for the Braced Walls and Panels are used to set the variables for the adjustments.

I'm using "Cabinet Shelves" to define the "Braced Wall Lines" and a "Furniture Symbol" to define the "Braced Panels".  It's turning out to be a really cool system.  Macros attached to the "Braced Wall Lines" determine the base panel lengths and also set the adjustment factors which are multiplied by those lengths to display the "Required Lengths". 

"Braced Panels" are then added to the model and lengthened as needed to meet the requirements.

It's all Displayed in a Cabinet Schedule limited to "Shelves".

The next step will be to incorporate all the Wind requirements.  That's going to be fairly easy to do - since I have the system worked out.

When finished I will have both Seismic and Wind Requirements all within a Single Schedule.

5 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

very cool Joe!! I can't remember, can you have more than one cab schedule in a plan?

Yes, as long as they don't include the same type of Cabinet (Base, Wall, Full, Shelf, Partition).  In this case I am limiting the Schedule to Shelves.  I don't include Shelves in any other Cabinet Schedule.  I put the Braced Wall Panels in a Furniture Schedule - need it to get the panel sizes, floor, etc.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Joe, is this something you will be selling?

Yes, but I haven't figured how much yet.  It will probably be between $150 and $200. 

It's taken about 6 hours so far to get it working the way I want and I don't know how many people will be willing to purchase it.  Obviously it's going to save me (and anyone else) several hours per project so I think it's definitely worth the money.

ps:  my PayPal account is chriscoll@dslextreme.com

I've been busy working on some Plan Check corrections so  I haven't been able to finish this package.  I'm still working on a few refinements before I do a video.  

I have some questions about Wind Adjustment Factors on IRC Table R602.10.3(2)

1. Item 1 - Exposure Category:  What are Conditions B,C & D ?
  2. Item 2 - Do I need to include the Roof Eave-to Ridge height Adjustment ?
  3. Items 5-7 - Can I skip these Adjustments ?

Thanks.

Joe,

1. Item 1 - Exposure Category:  What are Conditions B,C & D ?

Exposure A. Large city centers with at least 50 percent of the buildings having a height in excess of 70 feet (21336 mm). Use of this exposure category shall be limited to those areas for which terrain representative of Exposure A prevails in the upwind direction for a distance of at least 0.5 mile (0.8 km) or 10 times the height of the building or other structure, whichever is greater. Possible channeling effects or increased velocity pressures due to the building or structure being located in the wake of adjacent buildings shall be taken into account.

Exposure B. Urban and suburban areas, wooded areas, or other terrain with numerous closely spaced obstructions having the size of single-family dwellings or larger. Exposure B shall be assumed unless the site meets the definition of another type exposure.

Exposure C. Open terrain with scattered obstructions, including surface undulations or other irregularities, having heights generally less than 30 feet (9144 mm) extending more than 1,500 feet (457 m) from the building site in any quadrant. This exposure shall also apply to any building located within Exposure B type terrain where the building is directly adjacent to open areas of Exposure C type terrain in any quadrant for a distance of more than 600 feet (183 m). This category includes flat open country, and grasslands.

Exposure D. Flat, unobstructed areas exposed to wind flowing over open water, including inland waterways, for a distance of at least 1 mile (1.61 km). This exposure shall apply only to those buildings and other structures exposed to the wind coming from over the water. Exposure D extends inland from the shoreline a distance of 1,500 feet (457 m) or 10 times the height of the building or structure, whichever is greater.

Item 2 - Do I need to include the Roof Eave-to Ridge height Adjustment ? Yes

Items 5-7 - Can I skip these Adjustments ? Yes

Does it make sense to have two different programs? In my area, we don't need the seismic adjustment factors. Would this reduce the price?