Importing PDF issues

TonyMM

Hey guys, 

Yesterday I uploaded PDFs onto my layout and it worked wonderfully.

After re-opening the program today the pdf's have resized themselves only showing half of each page. 

Even if I delete them and re-upload the issue wont go away. 

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

I'm using X10. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 12.02.37 PM.png

40 minutes ago, javatom said:

Although it can be done, importing PDF files into chief is not recommended.  Your just at the tip of the ice berg of problems it will cause.  Your file size will soon be to big to be functional.

Can you upload the Layout and suspect PDF's?

Hmmm... I import PDF's all day every day with some sluggishness eventually but no major problems. Never heard of the recommendation.

1 hour ago, TonyMM said:

Hey guys, 

Yesterday I uploaded PDFs onto my layout and it worked wonderfully.

After re-opening the program today the pdf's have resized themselves only showing half of each page. 

Even if I delete them and re-upload the issue wont go away. 

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

I'm using X10. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 12.02.37 PM.png

Did you try stretching the layout box? Or opening each PDF in Layout and resizing?

I guess I should clarify this a bit.  Chief says it's ok.  It is ME that is recommending against it.  I personally never import PDF files but I work for dozens of other designers that use this practice.  When I work on their projects, I notice trends of what works and what can cause problems.  This one is a gray area because it sometimes works up to a point. 

One of the strangest ones I've seen went like this:  A multi page pdf that was well made, flattened and ready to import, needed several of the pages rotated 90 degrees (the original PDF looked fine).  I did not trouble shoot it.  I just rotated them, made the client happy and moved on to the next project.  I will agree with Perry though, on projects that I originate and control, I have never had an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, 

Update on this issue is that it had something to do with my monitor. I closed the program, disconnected the monitor from my laptop, relaunched the program and the issue fixed itself. 

It issue resurfaced the next time I plugged in my monitor and I was able to resolve the issue again by closing, disconnecting and launching again. 

All is good, client is happy. :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    F16Squeaky
    Newest Member
    F16Squeaky

• By toucanskeleton
      I'm trying to replicate a window sill I have on a model in SketchUp. I can import a .SKP file and convert it to a 3D symbol just fine, but then in elevation views, CA wants to show these CAD lines every couple inches for some reason. The 3D view looks just fine, but I do need to be able to create elevation views as well. Is there some checkbox I could toggle and solve this issue?

• By jbonja
      Is there a way to pass data into CA via the variables from other programs?  Specifically I want to populate my client information automatically from a client database I have versus re-typing.

Thanks
    • By Sunnyfields
      I am trying to do a presentation plan and am using a top down orthographic view with watercolor and overlaid lines. I can't get the resolution I need exporting an image from CA so I have sent the view to Layout as a live view. We also tried it as an image. The problem is that every time I try to create a PDF two walls disappear. The view box is large enough, so I haven't cropped the view, I've had our veteran Chief guy look at it, and we're stumped. Here is the result:

Here is the view in Layout:

And Here is the print preview:

Has this happened to anyone else? I have tried outputting this about a dozen times and the same two walls are cut off every time. 

I am running CA Premier X12 on a Dell with these bells and whistles. I also have Bluebeam Revu as my PDF print driver in addition to the "Export" function in CA. I have tried to print and to export with the same result . Any help would be appreciated.

• By divreig
      I have imported the loading doc roof I did in sketch up the, the structure is 3852" wide . Chief imports the correct size, but then when i try to move it up to the correct height chief shrinks the imported roof structure to 3000". I did not find any limits on imports on the docs or help. 

Anyone ells had this problem? 

existing model.plan
      existing roof only.skp
    • By divreig
      I imported a Import a surveyor DWG file. I followed the instruction in the tutorial (Import a Surveyor DWG file for a Site Plan or Terrain Perimeter (chiefarchitect.com) . And got some strange spikes hills. I have tired cleaning up the elevation data but no luck. There is simply no elevation data in the area that is that tall, not sure what is generate this. Pleas see the attached pic and surveyor map. 
      17045-Topo.pdf

17045-Topo-C.dwg
      existing terrian2.plan