TonyMM

Importing PDF issues

Hey guys, 

Yesterday I uploaded PDFs onto my layout and it worked wonderfully.

After re-opening the program today the pdf's have resized themselves only showing half of each page. 

Even if I delete them and re-upload the issue wont go away. 

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

I'm using X10. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 12.02.37 PM.png

Although it can be done, importing PDF files into chief is not recommended.  Your just at the tip of the ice berg of problems it will cause.  Your file size will soon be to big to be functional.

40 minutes ago, javatom said:

Although it can be done, importing PDF files into chief is not recommended.  Your just at the tip of the ice berg of problems it will cause.  Your file size will soon be to big to be functional.

Can you upload the Layout and suspect PDF's?

Hmmm... I import PDF's all day every day with some sluggishness eventually but no major problems. Never heard of the recommendation.

1 hour ago, TonyMM said:

Hey guys, 

Yesterday I uploaded PDFs onto my layout and it worked wonderfully.

After re-opening the program today the pdf's have resized themselves only showing half of each page. 

Even if I delete them and re-upload the issue wont go away. 

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

I'm using X10. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 12.02.37 PM.png

Did you try stretching the layout box? Or opening each PDF in Layout and resizing?

I guess I should clarify this a bit.  Chief says it's ok.  It is ME that is recommending against it.  I personally never import PDF files but I work for dozens of other designers that use this practice.  When I work on their projects, I notice trends of what works and what can cause problems.  This one is a gray area because it sometimes works up to a point. 

I have been showing PDF's in my layouts for 15 years without any of that kind of problems

One thing you don't want to do is change the width/height ratio or rotate a pdf other than 90 degree increments.  Also limit resolution to 300 dpi.

One of the strangest ones I've seen went like this:  A multi page pdf that was well made, flattened and ready to import, needed several of the pages rotated 90 degrees (the original PDF looked fine).  I did not trouble shoot it.  I just rotated them, made the client happy and moved on to the next project.  I will agree with Perry though, on projects that I originate and control, I have never had an issue.

Hi there, 

Update on this issue is that it had something to do with my monitor. I closed the program, disconnected the monitor from my laptop, relaunched the program and the issue fixed itself. 

It issue resurfaced the next time I plugged in my monitor and I was able to resolve the issue again by closing, disconnecting and launching again. 

All is good, client is happy. :)